Sunday, October 9, 2022

October 8 A Matey update

Saturday:  After we ate dinner, Shelley and Bob invited me to come and say "hi" to little Matey-Bird. I was very glad to do so! Look at him--isn't he darling? 

Here is Matey with Alex (green) and his best buddy, Gus (blue). All three of them hang out together all day long and have so much fun.

Matey has been quite sick and has been treated with various drugs that have helped him quite a lot. Apparently, he had little tumors all over his belly and the vet was pretty sure it was cancer and that Matey would not have long to live--this was back a few months ago. The vet prescribed some medicine that Shelley can just sprinkle on his seeds ... and the tumors are almost completely gone.
Also, it seems as though Matey has a liver dysfunction which causes his beak to grow rapidly (!!), but Shelley has been taking him every month to have it trimmed so that he is able to eat.

Matey recognized me right away--perhaps it was just my RING (my turquoise one) because he jumped right on my hand and started pecking it (like he always did) and then I gave him some kisses and he gave me some in return!
Look at Gus looking at Matey! They tell me that Gus follows Matey EVERYWHERE in their house and sometimes Matey finds little hiding places (like inside their pantry closet!) so that he can have some alone time--Gus even sleeps in Matey's cage with him. Matthew was telling me that they were very concerned what would happen to Gus if Matey were to die--he is very attached to his friend. 

For now, it looks like Matey has improved very much. Perhaps he will have a normal lifespan after all!
 

No comments: