Sunday, October 2, 2022

September 30 A little bit lost ...

Friday:  I ended up walking THREE miles today, rather unintentionally actually. 

Here's the story:  I walked out my front door at about quarter past six in the evening to take a "short" walk. I didn't feel like taking a "usual" route, so instead of turning RIGHT on Chauncey, I turned LEFT. As I walked and listened to beautiful music on a gorgeous sunny perfect fall evening, I just kept going up the hill and pretty soon I reached 7 Mile. Hmm, I thought. I didn't want to turn around and just walk back home the way I came, so I figured if I just hung a left at 7 Mile, I would shortly run into the golf course and could cut through there to get back to the Village quite quickly.

Was I ever wrong!

First, the golf course is a lot further down 7 Mile than I remembered! Thankfully, I was walking downhill by that time but I was very surprised to find just how far it was to the drive into the course. It's not an actual or official driveway into the golf course, just kind of a two-track that the owner uses. Anyway, I turned in there and walked for quite awhile and noticed "No trespassing" signs EVERYWHERE ... so then I felt guilty walking there--but at that point, I didn't feel I could turn around and retrace my steps before it got too dark. What should I do, I wondered?

I decided to cut across a rather vast meadow (knee deep in all kinds of interesting plants and weeds, and who knows what else!) and take the pathway into the woods. I remembered seeing many little paths INTO the woods from the back side of the village--so perhaps this little path would just take me through to the other side and then all would be well.
I turned my back on the meadow, which I was quite sick of by this time because the ground was so unpredictable and half of the time I couldn't see the ground because of all of the plant growth!
However, the deeper I got into the woods, the more I realized that I was super turned around (who, me?) and I was going to be in deep trouble if I didn't find something I recognized, and SOON! So I asked the Lord to help me find my way home! 

I was so relieved when I finally saw light through the trees and to one of the back lots of the Village. I was so glad to get back to where I knew I was. By the time I walked back into my little house, it was dark and I had walked three miles.

Note to self: STOP getting lost!


No comments: