Sunday, April 15, 2007

Nana and Roy Wed


THE HAPPY NEWLYWEDS!
This is their house on the southwest side of Grand Rapids.

On March 29, 2007 Ruth Holtzhouse (our own Nana) married Leroy (Roy) Cook. Nana and Roy met at Calvary Church. Roy is an avid gardener who all last summer supplied everyone at church with his home-grown tomatoes. Nana mentioned this fellow who kept giving her tomatoes, and I just never imagined that "the tomato guy" would become part of our family.

HOW DID THEY MEET? Ruth and her friend Phyllis started going out to dinner after church with Roy last fall; but then Phyllis began having lunch with someone else, leaving Nana and Roy to lunch alone. At first, Nana did not appreciate this turn of events, because she really had no interest in Roy and felt a bit abandoned by Phyllis. But the story ends happily! Roy and Nana began spending more time together and enjoyed each other's company.

The wedding ceremony took place at Roy's house. Pastor Joel Gerkin (Calvary's pastor to seniors) officiated, and the Kingma's stood up for the happy couple. Since extended family could not all be there on short notice, Ruth and Roy decided to just keep it simple and quiet.

However, Mom Jones was at church the following Sunday evening and bumped into Maury Lehman, a friend of the family. I asked him if he knew my mother had gotten married during the past week. He denied the knowledge with much shock, and then asked if my mom had gone home to Detroit and married some gentleman there. I told him my mom had married Leroy Cook and Maury feigned a heart attacked and cried, "You mean Ruthie married Cookie?!!" Maury was so delighted at the news (he has known Roy for over 40 years) and then told me he was going to harrass the newlyweds at the Senior Luncheon the next morning at church. Maury is a big tease and loves to embarass folk. I phoned my mother with a warning and she took action! Maury took her threats seriously and so did not announce the nuptials from the platform at the luncheon. However, word of their marriage spread quickly . . .

Last week I was in the restroom at church and was telling a friend that my mother had gotten married. When asked to whom, I told her Leroy Cook. Some other woman farther down on the mirror exclaimed, "Your mom married Leroy Cook? Rats! I wanted him to marry MY mother!" It seems as though Roy has a reputation of being quite a nice gentleman.

My mother and Roy have decided to live at his house on the southwest side of Grand Rapids. He has a nice smaller-sized home and has lived there more than 50 years. Mom is going to put her furniture into storage and move her essentials into Roy's house. Roy and his first wife (Lorraine) were married 63 years. Lorraine went home to be with the Lord three years ago now. They had one child, David. He and his wife have a son and a daughter; all of whom live out of state (Illinois).

WHY ARE WE CALLING HIM ROY INSTEAD OF LEROY? It's a long story -- but briefly, in my family, there are a few scoundrels -- you know -- the kind of people who are really disgraceful to the family name; the kind you would never leave your children with, etc. Well, the most notorious family member was a person named Leroy. So, that name brings negative images to the minds of any member of my family. Nana heard some folk calling him ROY and asked if she could call him that as well. Roy said she could call him whatever made her happy; so Roy it is!

WHAT I KNOW ABOUT ROY: Mr. Cook was born in Grand Rapids, Michigan in December of 1920. His first spanking was administered by Dr. M. R. DeHaan, the physician who delivered him! I didn't know M.R. DeHaan was a medical physician before he entered the ministry! Roy told us that M.R. DeHaan had become quite ill and prayed that if the Lord healed him, he would enter the ministry -- which he did! M.R. DeHaan is the founder of Calvary Church (back in 1929).

Roy is a retired butcher. He enjoys fixing up his house and gardening. He loves the Lord! He is very nice to spend time with and listen to; he has a lot of interesting stories to tell about Grand Rapids and the history of Calvary Church and just life in general.

2 comments:

JonesChronicles said...

Mom, I think this looks great! Not at all like the work of a novice. I'm glad you figured it out. I think you'll enjoy adding in notes and pictures when you have time. Nick is administering a bath to Nathan, but when he's done I will let him know that you've set this up so he can check it out, too! Much love, Rachel

Sabrina said...

Your blog looks great mom! I totally agree with Rachel that it looks nothing like a novice site, and I love the pictures of Nana and Roy. They are so cute together! I love you and will write more later. Maybe I need to set one up too although I can't write nearly as well as you and Rachel can. Love ya Mom, Sabrina