Monday, April 30, 2007

We Welcome Jesse Home

Anticipation!
It's been nearly four months
that Jesse has been away

Don and I met Diana at the airport this afternoon. Jesse is coming home! A dear friend at work had a special need today, so our original plan had to be revised to Plan B. Don came downtown, picked me up at the office and we rendezvoused with Diana at about 2:00. Jesse's plane was due in at 2:15.

Mr. Jones and Diana discussing web cams
[Can we get one, Mr. Jones,
so that I can see my little ones
so far away in El Paso?]
We check the Arrival board
Jesse's flight from Atlanta is ON TIME
The plane! The plane! The plane!
This is the hallway Jesse will walk down
This is where Diana longingly watches . . .
It seemed like the entire plane
de-boarded -- and still no Jesse!
I SEE HIM!
The look of love . . .
Waiting has been so hard . . . so long . . .
Love's embrace . . .
A long-awaited Kiss . . .
(this almost seems too private to photo)
What are they saying?
Mom Jones gets to hug her Bubby . . .
Two very happy people . . .
who I think love each other very much . . .
Jesse telling us about his flights
Jesse's first flight was this morning at 6:40 a.m. from El Paso to Atlanta (Delta's hub). He said he had coach tickets, but as soon as they saw his uniform, they brought him right to First Class. Jesse said First Class isn't what it used to be, just a little wider seat, just a bit more leg room (at 6'6" any more room, even if it's just a tiny bit, is helpful); but no other perks. However, he said the pilot announced there was a soldier on board and thanked him "for what he was doing for his country." How nice is that?
Diana is excited to show Jesse
their new/used Audi 100 vehicle!
Jesse had to put his beret on when he went outside
Did you know it was a RULE
that he can't wear the beret inside any building
but absolutely MUST wear it outside?
We grab a couple more pictures
of the happy couple . . .
It's so nice to have you home, Jesse!
You have been missed!
Jesse inspecting the AUDI
Diana got an excellent deal on it
from a former Navy guy --
She showed Jesse a picture of it
via the Internet and Jesse said --
"Buy it! Now!"
Mr. Jones asks Jesse:
"Are you a private first class now?"
No! Jesse is an E-1
You have to be an E-3 to be a private first class
While we were out in the parking lot, a little girl came by and said, "Thank-you, Mr. Soldier." Her mom was all teary-eyed and said how much she appreciated the soldiers in this country. Whew. It makes you thankful the whole country hasn't lost their minds!
Speaking of little kids, Jesse's three were not told he was coming home today. Diana had told them two weeks ago that he was coming home for Matthew's 2nd birthday (that was the hope); but he could not get his leave approved by then. Emma and Chris were bitterly disappointed. Diana decided to let her folks, Grandma and Grandpa Hand, take the kids for an afternoon outing today. She dressed all three kiddos in kid-sized Army fatigues. When their grandfolks bring them home this evening -- their daddy will be there to greet them!
Thank you, LORD, for bringing Jesse home to us safely. Thanks for how good and strong and happy he looks.
"Since my youth, O God, you have taught me,
and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds.
Even when I am old and gray,
do not forsake me, O God,
till I declare your power to the next generation,
your might to all who are to come.
Your righteousness reaches to the skies, O God,
you who have done great things,
Who, O God, is like you?" Psalm 71:17-19
WELCOME HOME, JESSE!

4 comments:

RRobinson said...

Yeah! I'm so glad Jesse is home to see you. I know it's tough having them gone for so long. Antione has had to be gone for a couple of months before and it can be tough being a single mom, so I feel for your daughter-in-law. Also, I have to say, Aunt Carol, that you look fabulous!

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily said...

Hello. I think I have an idea of how I could have gotten sick. My aunt was sick at my birthday celebration at my parent's house. Then my mother got sick and she was just over her cold at the last dinner with Amann family. Then I was over at my aunt's house and she had just got over her cold too. Plus Adam and I didn't sleep well all last week because of packing.

Emily said...

Oh! Welcome Home Jesse! We missed by a week. Darn. I'm sure the family glad to see ya.

~Adam & Emily