Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Good Sales!

Won't this be nice for my beach room?
I found this great wooden calendar on sale at Family Christian Stores!
I went shopping this morning at Bargain Books over on Alpine for their 50% off sale. I arrived at 9:05 and the place was packed! I shopped until 10:15 and got a lot of sticker books, coloring books, story books (hardcover and soft) and only spent $31!!
Some of the books I bought
My favorite title is: "The Cow That Went OINK"

None of these purchases were classics or even very well-known titles. I was just looking for fun children's stuff for a good price. Since all of you are so far away, I need to send stuff through the mail every now and then, so that you will be reminded how special you are to me. I won't tell you everything I got, because then it wouldn't be a surprise when I mail it to you ... but these are some I am going to keep at the homestead on the children's book shelf in the family room.
  • Two Veggie-Tale books (small cardboard ones). One is about being thankful and one is about being afraid.
  • Lord of the Dance is a beautiful hardcover book based on the song by that name. I love this song and I once owned a cassette tape (remember those?) of John Fisher singing it. Now I have an illustrated version of the song and the music is included along with all of the lyrics at the back of the book.
  • Duncan Carries a King is about the donkey who carried Jesus into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday. I know it sounds kind of hokey, but it's nicely illustrated, very colorful, and I think the grandkids will enjoy it!
  • The Cow That Went OINK is just a soft cover book, but the story is very cute! When I read it to the children, I will use lots of different voices and sounds -- and I KNOW Emma will laugh! She loves stories like this -- especially if Paco the Pig is the narrator!
  • I got a bunch of books that have learning activities for preschool kiddos that are very colorful and easy to follow!
  • EVERYTHING FLIES! This is actually a kit that comes with an instruction book and over 70 different flying objects to make. I think I will bring this along to El Paso in a few weeks to play with the Pahman grandchildren -- it will be so much fun!

Since I was right in the neighborhood, I stopped at Family Christian Stores and found a wooden lighthouse calendar -- also on sale (see top picture)! I also stopped at Blockbuster and rented a video that my sis told me was really well done -- One Night With the King (the story of Esther) -- and plan to view it later today. What a great, do-nothing kind of day ... I think I am ready for retirement!

P.S. PLEASE be safe with the fireworks today, guys! I know how men are around fire! Crazy!

No comments: