Saturday, July 14, 2007

A Wedding Card

It's been a busier-than-usual work week (my co-worker, Janice Marie, has been on vacation) and I had a bout of stomach flu, so there hasn't been much to write about. While driving to work Wednesday morning, I felt light-headed and definitely sick to my stomach, but figured it would pass. I was almost to my office on the 4th floor and then had to run to the bathroom where I lost everything I had eaten for dinner the night before -- thankfully, I had not eaten breakfast! It was 6:15 a.m. and I had planned to be at the office until late afternoon that day. I worked for three hours and then came home and slept the rest of the day. We even cancelled our dinner Wednesday night with Emily! So Thursday, I worked 11 hours to try and make up for what I had missed the day before.

Today is Saturday. Mr. Jones and I are taking a road trip to the South Bend area (Granger, Indiana, to be more specific) where my friend, Mary, is getting married this evening. You don't know Mary but she is very special to me. I got up this morning knowing that I had to make a wedding card for Mary and her Daniel. I was going to look through my archives and re-hash a card for them, but as I was looking, nothing was special enough. What happened next is what I love about creating cards! I was looking for some Scripture about marriage and love, and mostly about the Lord's love, because that's really what it is all about. I found a beautiful passage in Psalm 36 and designed their card around it.

Daniel and Mary ...
two become one
How precious is Your unfailing love, O God!
All humanity finds shelter in the shadow of Your wings.
You feed them from the abundance of your own house,
letting them drink from your rivers of delight.
For you are the fountain of life,
the light by which we see. PSA 36:7-9
And then the inside of the card has this Scripture:
Be humble and gentle.
Be patient with each other,
making allowance for each other's faults because of your love.
EPH 4:2
Praying your marriage will be a reflection
of the LORD's unfailing love ...
Mary loves Lake Michigan. When she was a little girl, her family had a cottage over near Saugatuck/Douglas and she spent her summers playing in the sand and swimming in the lake. So this picture is perfect for her. Plus, I liked the two sea gulls in the picture, soaring so gently together -- see their reflection?
Making this card was good therapy for me (as always). "How precious is Your unfailing love, O God!" How priceless is God's love . . . I am safe as He spreads His wings over me! He supplies me with an abundance of food, from His own house (!), letting me drink from His "rivers of delight." This is a great marriage passage, isn't it? But marriage is hard work, Lord! And that's why I put the Ephesians passage on the inside . . . because being humble and gentle and patient and forgiving is really completely and totally impossible with His unfailing love. "For You are the fountain of life, the light by which we see."

The card is finished! I printed the pictures and mounted them on sand-colored paper. I like it very much. I now feel I have accomplished something this week that was worthwhile! Oh the joy of creating! How limitless is Scripture for finding just the right words to say ...

3 comments:

JonesChronicles said...

What a beautiful picture, Mom! Did you take it? It's just so rare to find such a good reflection on Lake Michigan!! I very much hope we can do a moonlight beach-combing when you come to visit. Nick actually mentioned that you would have LOVED walking along the beach with us. Have fun at Mary's wedding!

Sabrina said...

What a great picture and great scripture. Have fun at the wedding tonight!

Mom Jones said...

Yes! I did take this picture one of the nights my sister and I sat on the beach and watched the sun go down ... I thought the sea gulls were so lovely ... and the color of the sky and the reflection was so peaceful, so calm. Isn't God so good to give us so many ways to enjoy what He has made?