Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Happy 4th of July

Remember the years when we all celebrated
the 4th of July
downtown on the lawn of the Gerald R. Ford Museum?
The crowds!
The music!
The heat!
The best fireworks!
Well, that's what I'm going to do today -- NO!
I'm not going downtown to see the fireworks!
I'm going to REMEMBER years past ...
and stay home!
It's no fun going downtown without children!
Actually, I'm going to a sale at
Bargain Books at 9:00 a.m.!
50% off on everything (except Bibles)!
And it is pouring rain all over Grand Rapids
even as I write this post --
As I read Jesse's post from the other day,
"It's Official"
I was that very same day reading in Psalm 18
and so I thought I would share some of the verses that
were really precious to me as I thought about
Jesse shortly leaving for Iraq ...
"To the faithful you show yourself faithful;
to those with integrity you show integrity.
To the pure you show yourself pure,
but to the wicked you show yourself hostile.
You rescue those who are humble,
but you humiliate the proud.
LORD! You have brought light to my life;
my God, you light up my darkness.
In your strength
I CAN CRUSH AN ARMY;
with my God I can scale any wall.
As for God, his way is perfect.
All the LORD's promises prove true.
He is a SHIELD for all who look to him for protection.
For who is God except the LORD?
Who but our God is a solid rock?
God arms me with strength;
he has made my way safe.
He makes me as surefooted as a deer,
leading me safely along the mountain heights.
He prepares me for battle;
he strengthens me to draw a bow of bronze.
YOU HAVE GIVEN ME THE SHIELD
OF YOUR SALVATION.
Your right hand supports me;
your gentleness has made me great ..." vv22-35

The whole Psalm is pretty military sounding!
But the focus is on GOD!
His way is perfect ... His promises are true ...
He is a shield ... He is a solid rock ...
He arms me with strength ...
He prepares me, strengthens me, supports me,
protects me ...
SHIELDS ME WITH HIS SALVATION!

I'd say the LORD is a pretty good defense!
Let's honor Him today
by giving Him everything we have
and all that we are!

Thinking of all you this 2007 4th of July!

No comments: