Sunday, July 1, 2007

"How Great You Are!"

I sometimes think the singing is the best part about church. Everyone, all together, singing the same song -- gifted voices and regular voices -- varied parts -- all kinds of people from all kinds of backgrounds, all in one place, focused on the greatness of God.

We sang an old song during our worship this morning, "How Great Thou Art" and as we sang (some 2000 of us), I listened ... hearing the truth of the words, seeing the beauty of God's creation (remembering my few days up north this past week), recalling the time a handful of us sang this very song at St. Ann's (the church with the perfect acoustics) in Jerusalem ...

Stanza One:
O Lord my God! When I in awesome wonder
Consider all the worlds Thy hands have made
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder
Thy power throughout the universe displayed

Stanza Two:
When through the woods and forest glades I wander
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees
When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur
And hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze

Chorus:
Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee
How great Thou art, how great Thou art!
Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee
How great Thou art, how great Thou art!

Sitting next to Mr. Jones, who was excellently singing the bass parts to this hymn, I remembered that a year ago this Sunday was another 4th of July Sunday where the choir performed a patriotic concert for the evening service. I had asked if I could take my Emma Joy to hear her Boppa sing, so I picked her up and we went off to Calvary Church for the concert. We sat right in the front row where Emma could see Grandpa Jones with the choir standing on risers in the front of the church. And there we sat, the two of us -- Emma on my lap with her soft cheeks next to mine and her small sweet voice telling Grandpa that she was there to see him ... we made it through three songs before I realized that Emma was not going to talk quietly but was going to continue to try to communicate with her singing Grandpa all throughout the concert, so we slipped out and went to the back of the auditorium and then finally down to the nursery (which wasn't being used) where we built block towers together. After the concert, we met Grandpa out in the parking lot where the entire church family was having a barbeque and we ate hot dogs and had ice cream together. Emma was so happy, she just sparkled that night -- and I ached with loving her -- could that have been a year ago?

But back to the song!

Third Stanza:
And when I think that God, His Son not sparing
sent Him to die -- I scarce can take it in
That on the cross, my burden gladly bearing
He bled and died to take away my sin

Fourth Stanza:
When Christ shall come with shout of acclamation
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart
Then I shall bow in humble adoration
And there proclaim -- my God how great Thou art!

It's good to know that it isn't about me -- this life, this world, my family -- it's about Him! It's about all He has done to make it possible for us to have a relationship with Him. My heart hurts because I miss my little ones so far away -- I miss talking to them, playing with them, being a part of their lives each week -- and then I am reminded of what God did for me:

"You belong to Christ Jesus. Though you were once far away from God, you have been brought near to Him because of the blood of Christ." Ephesians 2:13

It's sad having all of you so far away. But perhaps it is a good illustration for us to think about. In and of ourselves, we are all very far away from God too. Without the sacrifice of Jesus, there would be no way home to Him! We would always be FAR AWAY because of our sin. So today, I am thankful I have Jesus as my Savior! "I bow in humble adoration" and say, "My God, how great You are!"



3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sabrina said...

I love the pictures on this post mom they are beautiful! I agree- I love singing where I can hear all the voices raised to heaven.

And I am very careful driving around with all the rain and all the flooding. It hasn't been too bad with runoff or low water crossings near us thank goodness. Its the driving in the rain that has been hard- it's kinda like that time we drove in Houston. But its been clearing up more and more and we haven't had any big storms on us lately so that is great!

Mom Jones said...
This comment has been removed by the author.