Thursday, September 18, 2008

My first bike ride in ... 20+ years!

Behold ... my bike! I've wanted a bike for a very long time ~ years and years, in fact! It seemed that whenever I actually had enough money saved to purchase one, something would come up and the money would no longer be there ...
On one of the days last week when I was over at my mom's and Roy's, trying to teach mom how to use her computer, Roy asked if I had a bike. He said Lorraine (his first wife) had a hardly-used bike and it was out in the "barn" out back ... would I like to see it? Well, it was a little dusty and kind of covered in cobwebs, etc. but it came home with me! It's a 26" 3-speed. The tires needed inflating and the seat needing raising, so Mr. Jones went to work on that for me ... and voila! Today I tested it out around the neighborhood, and then I decided to venture out and hit the trail!
We live really close to White Pines Trail, which is a great biking trail that goes for miles and miles. I haven't looked it up on the internet to be able to give you accurate details about it, but I think it used to be part of an old railroad right-of-way. Anyway, it's just across the other side of West River Drive, behind the small businesses and auto shops that line that street ... look how pretty it is! I took it all the way to 5/3rd ball park tonight ... I know at least two young fellows who used to live in this house who regularly biked downtown and back without much effort, so this will seem real whimpy to them ... but I am just getting used to this bike thing ... plus, the brakes are extremely loud and squeeky ... they don't exactly have you stop on a dime!
I left our house at 5:45, biked past the ball park and along the Grand River. I stopped several times to take some pictures.
How peaceful and quiet it was there tonight! I've always wanted to walk along this trail, but I'm whimpy when I'm walking too. I know years ago Mr. Jones and I walked all the way to Rockford going the opposite direction on this trail. It's so much easier to ride a bike! The river is still high from all that rain we got last week from Hurricane Ike ...
All along the river there are places to park your bike and sit on benches ... this lookout place is somewhat submerged ...So, I have a free bike ... however, after this test run, I think I may have to invest in a softer more padded seat for it! Ouch!

No comments: