Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Nana's computer!

Look at my mom's new E-machines computer! On the hotest day of the season so far (!), Mr. Jones and I spent time with Nana and Cookie helping to choose just the right sale computer over at Best Buy, and then installing it, getting internet access, and setting up accounts, etc. Look at her nice 19" flatscreen monitor ... I'm a bit jealous! :)
I don't know how normal folk bring home all of these boxes with all of these confusing instructions, cables and wires and EVER get anything plugged into the right places! I guess people do it all the time, without losing their minds! But it's a good thing we had Mr. Jones to do this for us; otherwise, it just would NOT have happened at all. Roy's house is over 50 years old and the outlets were not grounded (whatever that means!), so that was a problem. I won't put you through the details of our 5-6 hour process; but at the end of the day, everything was hooked up, the internet was running, and we had my mom set up with an e-mail account of her very own ... mission accomplished (!) ... well, at least for now!

You have to know, though, that I was about on my last nerve after the first hour of this routine! So in order to save my sanity, I took regular rambles outside to Roy's beautiful yard and garden area ...



We also uploaded some software for Nana's camera so that she can upload pictures from her digital camera ...

You have to realize, though, that the last time my mother typed anything at all, it was on a manual typewriter; so when we had her try out her new keyboard, it was really really awkward for her. And having her manipulate a mouse was MORE than awkward! Plus, I've been commissioned to teach my mother the ropes of using a computer ... imagine that! Me ~ a completely technically-challenged individual, teaching my poor mother how to use her computer, which is a lot different from this older computer I use. This will definitely be a challenge for me ... but perhaps I will learn some things in the process!
Roy was absolutely fascinated by all of this technology. It was so much fun to watch his face as we were showing them around the internet. He especially likes the satellite images of neighborhoods, etc.

If you want Nana's e-mail address, I'll be glad to send it to you! I'm not sure she will remember how to access her e-mail account until she has further training, but our goal is that she will be able to communicate via e-mail with anyone she desires, be able to adequately surf the internet to keep up with the world and what's going on out there, and be able to enjoy her digital camera to the fullest!

6 comments:

Emily said...

How fun! She could start her own blog if she wanted to. Can I have her e-mail address?

Ruthanne said...

Hi! Mom told me all about this last night on the phone! She is excited to use it! Thanks to Don for setting it all up. I was shocked that it was done already. It will be nice to talk via email. Yes, I do need the email address because she remembered her password, but not the email address. I know you will do a good job today - go slowly -and don't teach too much at once. Terry is willing to teach me, but he always gives me a thousand times too much info at once! Some of it has sunk in though! I'm learning excel SLOWLY.

Carol said...

Wow, mom and Roy have a computer. Thank you so much for helping them with that huge endeavor! Blessings on you! Keep writing on your blog, Carol, I love reading it and seeing all the great pictures. You have such a wonderful way of expressing in writing what you are thinking and feeling. Have a great day. Love, Carol

Andrew Rauch said...

Watch out Bill Gates and Michael Dell.

I would recommend "The World Is Flat" by Thomas Friedman, a fine read about the digital world for this century...

:), :)

Mom Jones said...

Hi Andrew! I've never heard of this book, but it sounds like it is something I should look into ... my training so far of mom and her computer has fallen rather FLAT ... I'm not much of a teacher at stuff I hardly know anything about!

loisgroat said...

Now that I have read this post, I understand about you teaching your mom! How courageous you both are!