Wednesday, August 4, 2010

See how they've grown?!!

Look at my sunflowers!!!

I have never in my life planted a seed and actually had it live to ... grow up!

But let me give credit where credit is due ... I can't make anything grow at all, now can I?

"It is the LORD your God who gives you bountiful harvests and blesses all your work!" Deuteronomy 16.15

Look at the stalk of the biggest sunflower plant! It is amazingly HUGE. It's taller than our fence ... and WAY taller than I am!
It reminds me of something out of a fairy tale ... or Jack and the Beanstalk!
Back in early June, I planted 33 sunflower seeds in small pots and placed them on our back deck. 27 small plants sprouted up and I transplanted them by our south fence in our back yard. I would show you pictures of these plants when they were tiny ... but I am too lazy (!) to look back through my thousands of picture files tonight to find them for you!
I'm so pleased many of the 27 small plants survived. Actually, I followed the advice of my good friend, who told me to wean out the weaker plants and remove them ... and just let the stronger ones grow. So we have about a dozen good-sized sunflowers pointing their faces up to God ... and giving me such J-O-Y!

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadows ... it's what sunflowers do!" Helen Keller

1 comment:

Thursday said...

This reminds me of the year when my little cousin was about 4 and the sunflowers in our garden were having a great year, too. "Those are getting really tall," she said conversationally. "Soon they'll be as tall as...as those trees over there!"

It almost seems like they will, doesn't it?