Thursday, October 7, 2010

More art ...

Since I had missed seeing so many of the ArtPrize entries last week, I ventured back downtown for a few hours yesterday to see what I could see. The above picture shows just a little bit of "Outside: Judgment" a bronze sculpture by Liviu Mocan of Romania ...
... and this piece is called "The Water Prize" and was created by three members of Mars Hill Church ~ two children are carrying water jugs on their heads ~ illustrating the need for clean water in so many countries. Both of these pieces were outside at the Gerald R. Ford Museum. I liked them both very much.
This is one of the 20 pianos that were placed around various ArtPrize venues. Many folk sat down and played a ditty or two and then moved on ...
This wood sculpture is called "A Matter of Time" by Paul Baliker (he's from Florida).
This is an up-close portion of the sculpture. The artist, Mr. Baliker. was standing around his piece interacting with lots of school children who had come down to ArtPrize. I enjoyed listening to all of their questions and his easy manner with the kids.
This is an up-close shot of the immense pencil drawing (9 x 39 feet) hanging in the Grand Rapids Art Museum ...
... titled "Cavalry, American Officers, 1921" by Chris LaPorte, a local artist who has been "drawing all of his life." He teaches at Aquinas College. If you back away from this even just a little distance, it looks like an old black-and-white photo. The detail is stunning. All of it is sketched using a #2 pencil!
There were so many interesting and beautiful entries into ArtPrize. I had a difficult time choosing who to vote for. But I remain a realist and I have always admired folk who could sketch. Mr. LaPorte's has been favored to win ... I did vote for him ... but really ... so many deserve the prize!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've totally enjoyed your ArtPrize posts. I would love to see all of the pieces on display. How fun. What an amazing pencil drawing!

judy hand said...

Larry and I went Thursday a.m. and
loved all the beautiful and talented
pieces. It was a beautiful day and
the walk is convenient and well posted. What a great total prize for
G.R.