Wednesday, October 27, 2010

With my own eyes ...


"The voice of the LORD echoes above the sea.
The God of glory thunders.
The LORD thunders over the mighty sea.
The voice of the LORD is powerful;
the voice of the LORD is full of majesty."
PSALM 29:3-4
Look at the photographer hanging off the catwalk on the Grand Haven pier! I went out there this afternoon to experience the immense and historic storm we've been under the last few days. But I didn't go anywhere NEAR the pier.
I've always wanted to see the lake with waves like this. It's one thing to click onto www.surfgrandhaven.com and see what the webcam is showing ...
It's quite another matter to walk on the beach with the winds gusting to 55 mph, the sand whipping in your face, the overwhelming pounding of the waves, the unending whistling of the wind ... it's absolutely exhilerating ... and a little scary too!
I've never seen the waves this huge. There were reports today of 14-18 ft waves out on the open waters of Lake Michigan (beyond the 5-mile shoreline waters). I really had a difficult time gauging just how big these inland waves were today ... but they were bigger than I've ever seen with my own eyes!
There was no rain out there today ... so it hardly seemed like a STORM ...
The temperature hovered around 53-57 degrees with the lake temperature holding at 59. What a gorgeous day!
The snow fences are all in place ... waiting for the inevitable ...
Look at the channel! Now and then a huge wave would slam against the boardwalk and everyone would get soaked. I stayed up on the rocks were it was dry(er).
I borrowed Mr. Jones's tripod today so that I could plant myself out of harm's way and zoom in to get close. The tripod worked very nicely. It was nice to not have to worry about blurry pictures just because I was zooming in 10x ...
I could not believe the stunts people were pulling out here today! No fear!
There were windsurfers, kayak surfers, guys in wet suits jumping off the breakwaters ...

I only stayed a few short hours. I intended to see the sunset tonight, but the wind and the blowing sand was a bit oppressive out there! I'm home now, listening to the wind banging against our house siding ... it's been quite a storm!

3 comments:

Ruthanne said...

Wow, Carol! I was just thinking yesterday, when I heard that the storm on Lake Michigan was the worst in the past 70 years, that I bet you wished you were there! I should have known you would be!! :) What gorgeous pictures! I would have loved to have seen those waves! I could not believe that photographer - I'm just glad that wasn't you. But I would not have been surprised if it had been! Great pictures!

Mom Jones said...

Wish you could have been out there with me, Ruthanne!

The waves were SO huge and they slammed over the breakwaters and pier ... it was really one of the first times I felt FEAR out there and so I was extra cautious. Other folk didn't seem to be one bit intimidated though! :)

Sabrina said...

Wow!!! Those are great pictures mom! Glad you stayed safe and dry on your adventure! Love ya!