Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Our Brendan is a little sweetheart ...

Yesterday was a special day because Kelly promised to drop off Brendan at about 10 in the morning . . . and that's all it takes to make my day SPECIAL ~ hey! I'm a low-maintenance girl! Kelly had some personal business to attend to in this area of town, so Brendan and I got to play together.
Brendan is a very mechanical baby. He absolutely delights in HOW things work, AND he is very good and figuring out the process! He correctly uses tools, and his chubby hands are very adept at maneuvering and manipulating small pieces together. I love to watch him enjoy himself … and he does! He is an extremely contented person (he comes by this naturally, due to his sweet folks). 

We played a LOT with our cars and tracks yesterday. But where Brendan got MOST of his joy was from the construction process ... 
This little fellow tenaciously worked on connecting track and was SO into it! This curved track is very difficult to piece together. And Brendan was NOT successful. But he carefully and patiently worked at it for more than 10 minutes, wasn't frustrated or angry, but finally just put it down and walked away. I completed what he had begun and we did race cars for a little while.
Little Fellow
"chillaxin" in my bed …
Little Sweetie!
We listened to beautiful children's music all morning long. Brendan loves to sing, and I think the music helped to distract him from the fact that his mama was NOT here ...


This play cart with tools and blocks is still Brendan's favorite toy at my house. He plays and plays with this toy. I purchased it before Emma was born over at a Creative Learning toy store on E. Paris. I think I paid $59 for it, all of those years ago. I'm so glad I did!
When one of Brendan's favorite songs came on, he walked over to my instrument basket, picked up this toy triangle, held it correctly (!!) and kept time to the music. I was very impressed … he is a very musical baby. Can you tell that his grandma kind of … loves him? I'm crazy about him actually.  
But Brendan has another love in his life that is definitely #1. Every now and again, he would look up at me and this is what he would say: "Where's mama?" "Mama here?" And finally, he just got up and walked to my front door and insisted that it be opened up so that he could look and see if he could find her! 
Sadly, Kelly wasn't there! So we closed the door again and I carried him around the house to each light switch so that he could turn on and off each light … this amused him for awhile at least.

When we walked by one of my book shelves, Brendan spied this tiny 2-drawer blue dresser my dad had made many years ago. I took it down from the shelf for him to examine. The top drawer just held some old stamps; the bottom drawer was full of tiny shells. Brendan wasn't at all interested in what was in the drawers … he just wanted to pull them in and out, in and out. He was very pleased with this little project for quite some time!
But then … YAY! Kelly walked through the door. Instant happiness. Glee! There is no one quite like mama in Brendan's eyes. 
Two of the sweetest people in the world!

No comments: