Sunday, March 19, 2023

March 18 The Japanese Garden

Saturday Morning:  Hmmm ... spring? It definitely is NOT! But oh ... is it EVER beautiful!!! We got a fresh 3" of snow overnight, plus it has snowed all day long--sometimes gusty and blizzardy; other times just soft and steady. What I CAN tell you for certain is that God demonstrates His awesomeness in all kinds of weather! I couldn't resist grabbing my camera and going over to Meijer Gardens to take some winter photos. I am quite certain that I have zero winter photos there! This must be remedied!

Ruthanne and Terry and I had been to the Gardens the day before--but THAT was to go into the Conservatory and look at the amazing butterfly exhibit. It was SO cold, we never once considered a walk outside. But this morning, since I was alone and layered to the max ... I knew the cold would not be prohibitive.

Most of this "set" of photos was taken at the Richard & Helen DeVos Japanese Garden, a rather new(ish) addition to the Gardens--added perhaps eight or nine years ago. I've walked around it in the summer and in the fall, but never in the winter. Look what I found!

So my first intent was to walk down the Frey Boardwalk that leads to the swampy/marshy area and look for the swans that seem to always hang out there. However, that walkway was barricaded with a sign that notified people of "hazardous" conditions ... sign ... so I very reluctantly obeyed the sign that said NOT to cross the barrier. But NOW where was I going to walk? I followed the main pathway and the signs that led to the Japanese Garden. I remembered walking around it one fall and ... hmmm ... perhaps it would still be pretty in the winter?
OH MY YES! Don't you love a birch tree in the winter?



Look at the beauty of this place!


The snow was SO weird, though. At times, it was snowing so hard I could barely see! And then it would just clear right up!



These photos will make many a beautiful card ... probably not until NEXT winter, however. I don't want to depress people by sending them snow pictures when they are longing for SPRING.






I am posting and writing this on Sunday afternoon after attending one of the most worshipful services I have ever experienced at Calvary Church. If ONLY you could have been there! Wow. Pastor Jim taught from Matthew 10, about the Lord sending us out as "sheep among wolves." I'm going to listen to the sermon several times this week--it was just too good to hear only once. And the music and Scripture reading was magnificent. I feel SO refreshed, comforted, strengthened, thankful. Wow.








I love these photos! I love the Lord who made this wonderful beauty. Thank You so much. You are AWESOME.
  

No comments: