Wednesday, August 23, 2023

August 22 Alone with Cal

Tuesday: Yes! It IS my birthday ... but it's really just another day in actuality. I am fine with turning 70 because I am still breathing, alive, and in good health. I am thankful for another year ahead--as many as the Lord will give to me!

But more importantly, this was my FIRST day having ONLY Cal over to my house. School returned for Brendan (6th grade), Aidan (1st grade) and Erin (K). I picked Cal up at 11am from Miss Jen, and he and I came over here to play. I fancied up the little car garage with extra roads and ramps. I made a train layout that would not easily fall apart. I got out the PlayDoh and we had fun with that. We read a book about a little blue truck making friends out in the country with all of the animals--Cal really likes cars and trucks and he thought this book was pretty interesting.




Cal super liked his little bull dozer spoon, even though the wheels do NOT turn.

Cal does really well with PlayDoh and enjoys himself thoroughly. We sat her for a solid 30 minutes, with him happy the entire time.




THEN at about 3:15, we drove over to Cal's house so that we would be on time to meet the school buses with the older kids on board. I neglected to bring my camera with me, so I was stuck using my phone. I only snapped a few pictures:

These pictures loaded backwards ... but it doesn't matter. The above picture is the kids waiting for my birthday cake to be taken out of the refrigerator and sliced. I didn't take a single picture of it! Miss Jen baked it earlier in the day and it was super delicious--CHOCOLATE!

This is Aidan, avoiding my camera ... stinker.
It was nice to see Brendan! He was showing me all about his clarinet, since he is going to be learning how to play it at school this year. Yay!

This is little Cal soundly sleeping on the couch when we first arrived at his house. He was NOT easy to wake up and I wasn't successful at it until his folks arrived home actually.

It was a full day and a good one. Birthdays can be tricky. It's difficult NOT to be self-focused on that day--thinking about who I heard from and those who I didn't hear from--always a struggle for me. I am okay, though, because I know that I am loved and accepted by Jesus--who gave His life for me. Nobody else has ever done that for us--so I praise Him. And it was especially nice to be with Dylan and Kelly and these dear grandchildren too.


No comments: