Friday, November 30, 2007

Christmas Candlelight Celebration

I received a call earlier this week from our dear friend, Karen. It was so good to hear from her and to talk with her. I met Karen years ago; in fact, it was while I was in the hospital, right after Jesse was born! It's a long story, but over the years, she has made such a wonderful difference in my life and in the lives of all of my family. When our children were very young, they were playmates, and they have the funniest memories of each other! When Karen called this week, we hadn't talked in several months; so we did our usual nonstop 100 mph catch-up conversation (which I love) and then she invited me to a Christmas tea that was being held at Sunshine Church last night. Karen's mom was hosting a table, and there was room for one more to join them, and I got to be that person! I took a few snapshots so you could see how beautifully the women decorated the tables.
Each hostess decorated with their own Christmas plates, candles and desserts. The tables were all so different, and the colors so beautiful! Look at that beautiful dessert!
I would love to have a bowl like that, wouldn't you?
And this was our table -- with Nutcrackers all around!
BEAUTIFUL!
Micah and Olivia (two of Karen's children)
danced The Nutcracker with the Grand Rapids Ballet
for many years ...
The guest speaker for the evening was Carol Kent. Her topic was, "Celebrate! He is our Hope!" Last year, I had read her book, "When I Lay My Isaac Down." It was a real pleasure to actually see the face of the woman behind this incredibly tragic story. I think it is probably one of the saddest stories I have ever heard; but yet, one of the sweetest stories of the faithfulness of God through it all. Carol Kent is a woman of true courage and faith. Her talk was very challenging but also comforting, as she reaffirmed over and over again that the love of Christ gives such hope to a broken heart. This is the Scripture she referred us to:


"May the God of hope
fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him,
so that you may overflow with hope
by the Holy Spirit."

ROMANS 15:13
Marie, Brittni, and Karen

Then it was time for dessert! We had amazing almond tarts and the very best cherry pie ever! And Christmas tea (sweetened, of course)! It was so much fun talking with Marie and seeing Brittni too. They are such beautiful girls.But the best part for me was just being with Karen. Any place where she is, is a better place, a happier place -- just because she is there! I love to laugh with her and share in her joy of the Lord.

"Shout with joy to the LORD, O earth!
Worship the LORD with gladness.
Come before Him, singing with joy.
Acknowledge that the LORD is God!
He made us, and we are his.
We are his people, the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving;
go into his courts with praise.
Give thanks to him and bless his name.
For the LORD is good.
His unfailing love continues forever,
and his faithfulness continues to each generation."
PSALM 100

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

I can't believe that little Brittni is all grown up! I am so glad that you had so much fun at the dessert. Karen does indeed light up the world doesn't she.