Monday, November 5, 2007

Festival of Lights Set-up, Part I

It's that time of the year already! There is just a little over two weeks until Thanksgiving ... and around Calvary Church, it's time to set up for the annual Festival of Lights. Ten or twelve years ago, I know I helped with set-up one year -- maybe it was 15 years ago -- the boys were young then and enjoyed this kind of thing ... but it's been a long time since I have participated. I remember Sabrina and Jesse really being into setting this up, Nick and Shane (at about 10 years old) liked to hang out together at events like this, and I think Adam enjoyed it too. But most of them are very far away from Grand Rapids now. Mr. Jones signed the two of us up last week. He has helped out ever since he retired a few years ago.

However, our morning began getting our flu shots out at Grand Valley Health, Rockford. I have never had a flu shot bother me, but this time -- it was like the nurse was firing darts at a dart board -- OUCH!

Here are some pictures of what it was like for us today, helping to set up for Festival of Lights. Mr. Jones is singing again in the choir. I am not. I do not have the kind of voice that is needed for an event like this! But I can do this, not the technical stuff or electrical work, but I can test lights and climb ladders and do whatever is needed. It's a really big job and a lot of fun to be part of!
Mr. Jones and his choir buddy, Gordy,
were assigned the front of the auditorium ...
they made a good team!
This is Kevin, the main maintenance guy at Calvary,
building the stage that will extend up to the main platform
and along the wall of the baptistry ...
This shot is from the balcony ...
This guy is hanging the "icicles" ...
Mr. Jones and I only worked about 5-1/2 hours today,
but hope to work a full 8-9 tomorrow ...
It's pretty well-organized chaos actually ...
all the lights are separated out and labeled as 50's or 100's,
and each corridor of the church is marked and numbers
of lights assigned, etc.
This is Ron making sure the
Star of Bethlehem's lights all work ...
These are cascading lights that extend from floor to ceiling --
everywhere -- close to 200,000 lights ...
the end result will be dazzling and sparkling
and magical!
Just a perfect atmosphere to tell the
greatest story in the whole world ...
the one I never get tired of hearing ...
After all,
"God is light, and in him there is no darkness at all!"
I JOHN 1:5

Every year, hundreds of folk come to Festival of Lights --
some who have never heard the story, and others
who have hardened their hearts to it ...
but each year, many people's lives are forever changed
by hearing the Truth and receiving it!


I'll try to post more pictures tomorrow ...

3 comments:

Sabrina said...

What fun! I love FOL! Maybe one year we will make it up in time to hit on of the performances. Have fun hanging all the lights!

For me seeing all the lights makes me wonder how dazzling the sky must have looked lit up with all the angels praising God and proclaiming peace to the Earth. I can't wait to see more pictures.

Mom Jones said...

Reading those Bodie Thoene books (A.D. Chronicles and others) have really helped me see a clearer picture (even though it is fiction) of all of those wonderful events ... they have helped to change my life! I wish they would write a Christmas play based on the Shepherds of Migdal Eder, etc. and then we could do a FOL with that story ...

Sabrina said...

That would be so cool! I'd fly up just myself early to see that one! Have fun hanging more lights today! I loved going and helping to set them up and learning all about how they all work. One year I even volunteered in the summertime to start testing the lights. Literally pulling each cardboard wrapped set in to make sure they were all working- I loved it.