Monday, November 19, 2007

A friend who walked with God ...

"Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children
and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us
and gave himself up for us
as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God."
Ephesians 5:1-2
We attended the funeral of our friend, Luke, today. He was not someone we got to spent a lot of time with. We actually only met him a few years ago. He and his wife were members of our LOGOS class that meets on Sundays. Luke and Bertha loved the Lord and lived their lives in service to Him. Bertha had a rare blood disease and went home to be with Jesus about a year-and-a-half ago. Luke had a heart condition, but nothing that casual friends thought to be very serious. He suffered a heart attack last Tuesday and "feel asleep in Jesus." What a loss for so many! He was a Biblical scholar and a very wise man; yet, a person like me could have a conversation with him and feel like they were his equal. He was never condescending. He had a quiet respect for people who were seeking the Lord. At the funeral today, we heard story after story from folk, and letters from people all over the world who had been touched by his life, his kindness, and his ministry. He was the Director of the Institute for Religious Studies here in Grand Rapids. There is a nice tribute to his life's work at www.irr.org.
"If a man dies, will he live again?
All the days of my hard service
I will wait for my renewal to come.
You will call and I will answer you;
You will long for the creature your hands have made.
Surely then you will count my steps
but not keep track of my sin.
My offenses will be sealed up in a bag;
you will cover over my sin." Job 14:15-17
So although I am really sad about Luke dying -- I know that "he is not gone, he is glorified!" (to quote Dylan in an e-mail he sent me today). I am working through the grieving process, like so many. I will always remember Luke as a man who walked with God. What an honor to have known him for even a little while!

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

What a wonderful thing to remember- he is not gone, he is glorified. Someday we will all be glorified too. What a wonderful day that will be to be with everyone we know and love again. I am sorry that you have been having a hard time. I love you and will continue to pray for you. We are 95% certain that we will be making it to GR this year and even have dates in mind. I'll call tomorrow if you're up to it.

Mom Jones said...

Thanks for your kind words, Sabrina; and thank you for praying.

We'll be mostly home today and I would love to hear from you ...