Monday, June 16, 2008

Mmmm ... strawberries!

Mr. Jones and I went strawberry picking at Krupp's Farm early this morning. It's been a long time since I visited this place. I think the last time I was here was to cut down a Christmas tree back about 15 years ago ...
I think I have picked strawberries once or twice before in my life ... but today, I let Mr. Jones do most of the picking while I looked around and took pictures.
This is the little white flower that somehow miraculously turns into a strawberry! Isn't that cool?

This one wasn't quite ripe yet for picking ... I could hear folk trying to explain to little children how the berry had to be completely RED before it would taste good and should be picked. There were a lot of grandparents and grandchildren there early this morning ...
Mr. Jones picked eight pounds. I did help out a little bit; but it was such a pretty day, and I love farms!
There is a very small petting zoo here ... which included these two adorable little pigs, a bunch of baby chicks, some goats and cows ... very cute. I think when the Pahman grandchildren arrive next month, we will just have to visit this beautiful farm!
There is also a nice ice cream shop that sells mini-$1 cones! Even more reason to visit!
There are plenty of U-pick strawberry patches on this farm. The owners said there were enough strawberries to last for 3-4 weeks worth of picking. I'm sure Mr. Jones and I will come back for more ... this time, I'll do my share of picking.

6 comments:

Sabrina said...

what fun! I loved strawberry picking with the kids this past spring although we didn't get nearly as much as you did! are you going to make preserves or just lots of yummy treats?

Mom Jones said...

Hi Sabrina: I practically laughed out loud with your question: was I going to make preserves ... I haven't the slightest notion of how that is done! Your father does, I'm sure ... but not I. No. We're just putting strawberries on and with every single thing we eat! They are delicious! :)

Sabrina said...

I was hoping you were going to say that yes you were going to try it now that you are retired and you would share with me the secret of it!!!! :) Maybe next spring when you are here and our berries are coming into season we can figure it out together.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you like farms because you could have a son and daughter in law that own one in a little bit...

Mom Jones said...

Wow, Nicolas! That would be like living in a very good dream! :)

Anonymous said...

Well, it is Friday evening and the eight pounds of berries are almost all gone. I think we may need to go picking again in the morning.