Monday, June 2, 2008

God, the Master Gardener

Yesterday, late in the afternoon, my good friend Karen stopped by the house. She was out in this area, called me, and came over! It was great to spend time with her, but I was a bit embarrassed. Honestly, our yard looked like something from the Beverly Hillbillies! We had neglected mowing the lawn last week, and it was really really LONG! And the weeds that I spent hours removing 7-10 days ago had grown absolutely HUGE! I should have taken a picture yesterday to show you what I'm talking about. Today, I was determined to make something beautiful out of our urban jungle.
And as I was working outside on this gloriously beautiful day, I started thinking about God's gardening skills. I don't mean with the Earth, I mean with people ... with folk like me. As I was weeding today, I used all kinds of tools, some of them really sharp. I trimmed and pulled and dug, and removed a whole bucket full of nasty weeds! And then I watered everything, because all of my flowers and plants were thirsty! Think about how much more concern and care God has for us! And sometimes it's painful, all that digging around He does in our lives ... but I'm so glad He fusses over us, aren't you?

" ... God's discipline is always right and good for us because it means we will share in His holiness. No discipline is enjoyable while it is happening ~ it is painful! But afterward there will be a quiet harvest of right living for those who are trained this way." Hebrews 12:10-11 NLB

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever ..." (John Keats) Isn't it cool to think about God cutting the ugly weeds out of our lives, pruning us, trimming back our leaves, watering our thirsty hearts ... so that we can be something beautiful for Him?

These two blossoms are Dahlias! The pretty yellow one I showed you the other day, is this kind too. I didn't know what they were called until I found the label from the greenhouse (it helps to read).

"God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart ..." Ecclesiastes 3:11 NLB. Wow! That's some gardening, isn't it?

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

Discipline is never fun but I agree that it is also necessary. I cling to that verse when it feels like God is disciplining me to make me stronger- holding to the promise of future harvest. Love the pictures of the flowers mom!