Sunday, June 15, 2008

... the riches of His kindness ...

Happy Father's Day 2008! I hope your day, wherever you are, has been as beautiful as the day here in Grand Rapids. We enjoyed worshiping and serving God this morning at church and then joined Cookie and mom at Olive Garden for lunch. We wanted to honor him today on this special day. We had such a nice time with them!


I was at mom and Roy's house Thursday afternoon, just hanging out (!) and took this picture in Cookie's flower garden ~ he loves flowers ~ and he cuts these little miniature roses every day and brings them into the house for my mother. Do you see the tiny insect there inside the rose? Isn't he cool? I think if you click on the picture, it will enlarge and you can see his antennae are multi-colored! And look at his delicate little legs! My kind Father made him (her) and this wonderfully intricate blossom, and everything that our eyes can see ~ and stuff we can't see, right down to microcreatures and our own DNA!


I'm thankful today that God is my Father. I like how David describes him in Psalm 103 ~

The LORD is merciful and gracious;
he is slow to get angry and full of unfailing love.
He will not constantly accuse us, nor remain angry forever.
He has not punished us for all our sins,
nor does he deal with us as we deserve.
For his unfailing love toward those who fear him
is as great as the height of the heavens above the earth.
He has removed our rebellious acts as far away from us
as the east is from the west.
The LORD is like a father to his children,
tender and compassionate to those who fear him.
For he understands how weak we are;
he knows we are only dust.
PSALM 103:8-14 NLT


There are many kinds of fathers here on earth ... and I suppose a person could spend endless days mourning the fact that his or her father was less than desirable ... but I'm glad God is my Father! I hope I can live my life according to His will, honoring His name, for His kingdom and for His glory. There is no one like Him in all the earth.

4 comments:

Emily said...

I bet Father's Day has a new meaning now that you have a father...ish.

Emily said...

Oh yeah, lovely rose! I can't wait to have a garden!

Mom Jones said...

Hi Emily: Yes! It's very nice to have Roy as an almost-father. He's such a nice fellow. He takes care of his flower garden and helps to make it so beautiful. I'm glad you can soon make plans to have a garden too! :)

Sabrina said...

Bueautiful picture Mom. Glad you could celebrate with Roy and Grandma.