Monday, January 19, 2009

Bitter cold but beautiful ...

"The steps of the godly are directed by the Lord. He delights in every detail of their lives." Psalm 37:23
I was in Rockford this morning for my yearly physical, and since the sun was making a very unusual but spectacular appearance, the sky amazingly clear and blue, I took a brief hike up the boardwalk just north of the Rockford dam ...
From all of the footprints I could see, it was evident a lot of folk had been walking this trail recently ... but not when I was there this morning. No one was in sight! It was so peaceful and quiet ...
I don't want to wish this time away ~ what if this is my last winter to be alive on the earth? It's true ~ I spend a lot more time inside than outside (and I don't like it!), I complain about the cold, I feel confined and a bit claustrophobic ... but I do appreciate the amazing beauty God creates in these winter months. It helped to see the sun today! Just thought I'd share these pictures ...

3 comments:

Sabrina said...

I love the pictures Mom! The winter is hard this year isn't it? Stay warm and count the days till you come south to the warmth!

Mom Jones said...

I think the COLD is the hardest thing ... the stinging, hurting kind of cold that gets right down inside! The sun is shining TWO DAYS IN A ROW ... a record! So I'm giving thanks for that! When we were driving to take care of the children at church this morning, crossing over the Grand River ~ there was a beautiful mist and everything was icicles, sparkling and dazzling in the morning sun ... but I couldn't stop to take any pictures! One of these mornings I'm going to have to catch it just that way and have time to photograph it ...

Thursday said...

That line about not wishing your time away because you don't know if it's the last winter on earth struck me. It sounds like how living with a grateful heart looks: focusing on what has been given instead of wishing for what hasn't. Yes, sometimes gratitude takes more work than others, but cultivating it never leads to disappointment. Thanks for documenting your effort to live in gratitude to God...it is encouraging.