Thursday, January 1, 2009

Our happy New Year's Eve

Eight couples: Tim and Kim (the gracious hosts), me and Mr. Jones, Nate and Christie, Gene and Michelle, Steve and Wendy, Charlie and Sondra, Nigel and Gayla (and their two sons), and Bob and Kay all welcomed the new year in together last night. All of us are members of the LOGOS adult congregation at Calvary Church. We love each other and have become like a ... family.
We had plenty of food. There were three crock pots with meatballs ... and every single one of us ladies who brought the meatballs thought we would be the ONLY one who would do so! There were plenty of chocolate goodies (and I enjoyed every single yummy bite), delicious appetizers, etc.
We had good conversation, great fellowship, ate a lot of delicious food, wore silly party hats and all participated in a Bible trivia game ... four teams of four each. I was on Team #3 and we were the winners! It was fun to be on the winning team, because generally speaking, I do NOT win playing trivia games!
At 11:45, Wendy spontaneously announced that we were going to light a candle and pass it around the group, telling what we were most thankful for in the year 2008 and what we hoped for our lives in 2009. What's special about this group of people is that there isn't much pretense with us. We've been pretty open with our lives, have shared some really difficult times together, and support each other in prayer throughout the week.
After the candle had passed around the entire circle, we ended our party on our knees in prayer for each other. It was a great way to welcome 2009 and an evening that I will always remember with a lot of deep-down happiness.
As I look back on 2008, I have so much to give thanks for. I had set a few goals ... some were met and others were not. What I think I am most thankful for, though, is God's faithfulness. He is everything I am not ... but I'm so glad He loves me anyway. What a difference His unfailing love has made in my life!

"O Lord, you are so good,
so ready to forgive, so FULL of unfailing love
for all who ask your aid ...

Teach me your ways, O LORD,
that I may live according to your truth!
Grant me purity of heart,
that I may honor you.
With all my heart I will praise you, O LORD my God.
I will give glory to your name forever,
for your love for me
is very great!

... You, O LORD, are a merciful and gracious God,
slow to get angry,
full of unfailing love and truth."

Selected verses from Psalm 86

3 comments:

Emily said...

Happy New Year! Sabrina had called Adam a few days ago wishing us a happy new year. She commented that she had to work that night and that she'll probably be stuck with the crazy drunks and others at the hospital instead of celebrating with her family. We really didn't have an exciting New Year celebrating due to the fact that I was catching a cold or something. But luckily I had yesterday and today off.

Mom Jones said...

Hi Emily ... Sorry about misunderstanding your comment to Sabrina! I thought perhaps you and Adam got stuck at an office party or something. Sometimes a nice quiet New Year's Eve at home is very nice too. Hope you are feeling better today.

Sabrina said...

Happy New Year Mom!