Thursday, January 8, 2009

Some pretty winter pictures

Yesterday, my camera and I went for a little drive. It's been cold and snowy with very gray skies in West Michigan for a long time. In December, we only received 5% of our possible sunshine! Usually, I don't mind this so much ... it's kind of like living in a black and white world; and I really like black and white! But I'm beginning to kind of miss the sun. Today, I sat at my computer for over an hour editing my October pictures from Padre Island with the pounding waves, brilliant blue sky, the sandy seashore ... and dreamed of being there.
I really should have taken a hike yesterday, instead of a drive, but there was a fresh layer of snow so I drove up to Krupp Farms to see if the horses were outside and if they would pose pretty for me ... but they were not outside ~ smart horses ... it's really really cold!
I took a brief walk, but all of this is private property and I didn't want to be obnoxious.
I also drove down West River Drive until it turns into Cannonsburg and ended up over at Townsend Park. I can't remember the last time I was there.
When my boys were young, this is where we used to go frog hunting ... naturally NOT during the winter ...
The sun came out for the briefest moment to sparkle on the little creek ...
My feet were so numb from the cold, I didn't stay outside for very long. I thought perhaps all you folk in hot and sunny Texas were perhaps missing the beauty of the snow ... so I've posted these pictures just for you! Say "hi" to the sun for me, OK?

8 comments:

Ruthanne said...

These are beautiful pictures, Carol! I feel your melancholy! I only know a little of what you are feeling with the kids gone because I only have one gone, but it is hard. The parents of the kids don't realize how difficult it is because they are with them all the time. I enjoyed your beautiful pictures - seems like it is snowing more this winter, but I like it!

Ruthanne said...

Oh! By the way, I love your latest music on your blog. It is beautiful. It reminds me of the CD I played for you that I wanted to get on my blog, but it isn't available and I don't know how else to get it on. Very nice!

Michelle said...

Thank you for the pictures. They bring back wonderful memories!! I lived in the UP (Gwinn and Ishpeming) for 15 years. We now live in Georgia where it has been sunny and 75-80. I really miss the snow. It is so beautiful and your pictures showed all of it's beauty.

Emily said...

Yes the sun says "Hi" back.

Ryan and Sandra said...

Thank you for your very encouraging comment on our blog, Carol, and for providing a link from your blog to ours.

We hoped and even planned to come one last time to the Sunday class with all of you, but in the end it wasn't feasible.

We so appreciate your prayers!

Ryan

Sabrina said...

Thanks for posting the pictures of the snow! I love them all. I hope you have thawed out after your walk. :) I can't say hi to the sun for you... I haven't really seen it all day today either.

Carol said...

Beautiful pictures, Carol Jean. I love how the snow "looks" but, i don't have any desire to go back to it. We love Florida. Anyway, that park that you went to was the park that Rachel was going to get married in but, when I called to make the reservation on the 2nd of Jan it was already booked. It's a beautiful park in summer and winter.

Mom Jones said...

Hi Carol! I didn't know that about Rachel's wedding and Townsend Park. Where she ended up getting married was a beautiful spot too ... but then I would always prefer a location right next to Lake Michigan. I'm glad you enjoyed these snow pictures and I don't at all resent the fact that you would rather live in Florida ... except that it would surely have been nice to have been closer in location to all of you.