Thursday, January 29, 2009

Mmmm ... a quick and delicious dinner!

I readily admit I am not a good cook. I just don't have that special sense for it! But if I have a good recipe, I can deliver a good dinner!
Last week, Mr. Jones picked up some frozen haddock fillets, four packages of them ~ on sale of course. Since I LOVE fish, I decided to thumb through my cookbooks and see if I could find a decent recipe to try. I found a simple-looking recipe in my Betty Crocker Cookbook called, Pecan-Crusted Fish Fillets. I hope it's okay with Betty if I share the recipe with you ... it's really easy and very tasty!

Pecan-Crusted Fish Fillets (serves 4)
1 cup finely chopped pecans
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk

1 pound fish: sole, orange roughy, walleye pike or
other delicate fish fillets, about 1/2 inch thick
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil


1. Mix pecans, bread crumbs and lemon peel in shallow bowl. Beat egg and milk with wire whisk or fork in another shallow bowl.
2. Cut fish into small serving pieces. Sprinkle both sides of fish with salt and pepper. Coat fish with egg mixture, then coat well with pecan mixture, pressing slightly into fish.
3. Heat oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add fish. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 6 to 10 minutes, turning once carefully, until fish flakes easily with fork and is brown.

Tonight was the second time I used this recipe. Last week when I tried it, we didn't have any fresh lemon to grate. However, I think the lemon part is completely optional and I actually prefer it without. Mr. Jones disagrees and said it was much more tasty tonight WITH the lemon.

I started fixing dinner tonight at 4:15 and at 5:15 we sat down to eat. I served the fish on top of a heaping mound of brown rice, lemon wedges on the side, as well as some veggies and fruit. Not at all fussy, but a very enjoyable meal!

6 comments:

Emily said...

Mmm fish...Food sounds good to me at anytime during the day.

Anonymous said...

It was very, very good indeed. However, the name of the fish (on the side of the package) was POLLOCK!

Emily said...

It came from oversea?

Mom Jones said...

The package says, "Caught in the wild. Product of China." :)

Sabrina said...

Yum... even for a girl who doesn't like much fish it sounds pretty good!

Ryan and Sandra said...

Thank you so much for your prayers and for sharing our need for prayer in the LOGOS class. We tried to attend on our last Sunday before we drove to the airport, but there was no class since Christmas services had been pushed back a week due to the snow & ice before. We were sad to miss you all and have thought of you often.

You're so right: "Normal life" here really isn't normal to us yet, but we are feeling like we're settling in and learning a great deal. Just today, as I was speaking to a teacher (completely in Spanish, of course) I said a word I didn't realize I knew! It was the greatest thing!

Also, I wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed looking at your photos tonight. My long-time nanny job was very close to Cannonsburg and seeing your pictures of Townsend Park were very home-y and brought back great memories for me. Thanks for sharing!