Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Bridge Street Special

Dylan plays bass guitar in a band called The Bridge Street Special. They were playing last night ... so I went to hear them!
I arrived in time for their warm-up and took a few pictures while it was still light enough outside to see. The venue was the parking lot of The Coat of Many Colors (a storefront that carries kind of a mix of vintage hippy clothing and antiques!) on Wealthy Street over in Eastown.
They played six beautiful numbers, all original songs, composed by various members of the band. Their lead singer, Kelly, has an ethereal lilting voice ~ I never get tired of listening to her. Plus, it's fun to watch all of these talented folk interact with each other ... they are really good at their music!
It's difficult for me to describe their sound to you because I am not "with it" as far as music goes anymore ... but it's kind of a mixture of folk and blue grass ... and their songs are about life, so some are happy and some are sad ... and many of them are just fun!
A few of the band members couldn't make it to this gig ... so Paul (Dylan's really good friend from all the way back to third or fourth grade) filled in on the drums (in the green shirt).
Kelly's amazing voice drew a crowd of close to 250 young people who really seemed to enjoy being there! I don't know if you are familiar with the Eastown crowd but they are beyond description ... I don't mean that in a bad way ... they seem to have turned the clock back 40 years to the late 60's and then added a whole bunch of weird stuff to what was already strange! I'm smiling as I write this ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Carol, I love these photos! It was so much fun to see and hear Dylans' band! They are amazing! I will forward this post to Micah and Thad, they will so enjoy it... let me know when he plays again..! lv.. k