Friday, May 8, 2009

"A queer funny ache"

I've driven past Robinette's Orchard three times in the last week and didn't stop to take pictures of the gorgeous apple trees all in bloom ... so this morning, I intentionally drove over there to soak up the beauty of the place. Do you remember the passage in Anne of Green Gables (L.M. Montgomery, Copyright 1908 by L.C. Page & Co.) when Matthew is driving her home from Bright River in the carriage? I felt like I was exactly there this morning!

"Oh, Mr. Cuthbert," she whispered, "that place we came through ~ that white place ~ what was it?""Well now, you must mean the Avenue," said Matthew after a few moments' profound reflection. "It's a kind of pretty place."

"Pretty? Oh pretty doesn't seem the right word to use. Nor beautiful, either. They don't go far enough. Oh, it's wonderful~wonderful. It's the first thing I ever saw that couldn't be improved upon by imagination. It just satisfied me here"~she put one hand on her breast~"it made a queer funny ache and yet it was a pleasant ache. Did you ever have an ache like that, Mr. Cuthbert?"
I've always loved that passage in the book. Right then and there, Anne changes the name from "The Avenue" to "The White Way of Delight."
I get that "queer funny ache" lots and lots ... and I just can't find words to describe what happens to me when I enter into the beauty of God's creation.
I had two purposes in mind for driving out to Robinette's this morning. I wanted to snap some pictures, but I also wanted to find out their summer schedule and get one of those road maps, The 2009 Country Market Guide, that shows all of the markets, greenhouses, orchards and interesting stuff on The Ridge (because I know a few grandchildren who are coming to my house in just about 5 weeks!). I found what I was looking for, as well as the Circle Tour & Lighthouse Map of Lake Michigan that I have been looking for ... forever!
I enjoyed a nice long walk through the apple orchard. I stepped inside their little shop just to take a peak at the fresh baked goods ... they looked SO yummy ... but I resisted, and managed to only purchase an 81 cent bag of homemade garlic croutons that I put in the salad I made tonight for me and Mr. Jones!
I hope you've been able to take some time this week and just drink in the marvelous sights and sounds of spring ...
"Let the earth open wide
so salvation and righteousness
can sprout up together."
ISAIAH 45:8

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a huge smile on my face right now. I love that passage. Like I've always said, I immediately like anyone who reminds me of Anne. And you are truly the Anne-est person I know in real life. =)

Emily said...

I've never read any of the Anne of Green Gables before but I have seen the movie. I do agree with your statement.

Mom Jones said...

To be thought of as an "Anne-person" is a very high compliment; so thank you to both of you! I grew up on Anne and love all of those books dearly.

Thursday said...

I also love Anne, and those pictures remind me of the White Way, too. :)