Saturday, May 23, 2009

planting ...

I've been digging in our dirt for weeks now, getting it ready for Memorial weekend ~ the time when I traditionally plant all of our annuals around the yard. I've been transplanting and reorganizing my flower beds a little bit. I've been reading up on perennials and learning just a little bit more about gardening.
As I've read through my Bible the last few years, I've been struck with how full of agricultural images it is. But it makes perfect sense because land, and cultivating it for food, was pretty essential to each individual ~ not that it isn't now, but we aren't ALL farmers! Listen to one of the most beautiful passages I have come across: "Plant the good seeds of righteousness, and you will harvest a crop of my love. Plow up the hard ground of your hearts, for now is the time to seek the LORD, that He may come and shower righteousness upon you." Hosea 10:12
Wow! Such a rich passage of Scripture, so amazingly beautiful to think about ... such promise and challenge and blessing all rolled up in one!

Would you like to hear about what I've planted at the Jones Junction this weekend? I bought pansies for the first time in my life ~ I LOVE THEM! Aren't they delightful to behold?!!
I put pansies in our two front yard flower beds, along with geraniums, petunias, plenty of alyssum (I planted too few last year and missed them terribly!), my almost special favorite dahlias, along with coleus, some dusty miller, and impatiens too! I took some pictures of them, just planted around the yard ... they will look better in a few weeks, once they grow a bit and perk up after the trauma of planting.
I also purchased my very first hibiscus and planted it as far in the corner as I could get of our back and side fence! It's only tiny right now and may not do well it's first year with us, but it is a perennial and will eventually get used to our yard and blossom deep deep red (my favorite color). We also have three very hearty rhubard plants (thanks to our friend, Judy, who divided and shared hers with us last year!) along the side fence where further down I have planted two rows of zinnia (from seed) ...

We have a really long side fence area. Last year, I planted wildflowers (from seed) but they just did not do well. I planted black-eyed Susans next to them, and they didn't do well either! Hopefully, these zinnias will come up and do as well as when Mr. Jones plants them next to the garage ... they have been stunning there in years past ... otherwise, I think I will be in for a bit of razzing ...
Mr. Jones planted 7 tomato plants (as well as a row of onion in front of the tomatoes), and this year alongside the garage he has planted green beans and radishes (I've never been very fond of radishes). He says he plants stuff that is USEFUL, whereas I just plant FLUFF. I couldn't disagree more! Flowers are very useful ~ they delight my eyes and my heart! Besides, I have no idea what we are going to do with all of those radishes!
This beautiful little plant is also a perennial and it is called Aureus. I've planted a few of them up near the front porch steps where it is difficult to get anything to grow.
I also picked up a few garden ornaments ... this little pig reminded me of my Emma ... and how much she used to love digging in the dirt here with me, with her own little garden gloves and sun viser ... (deep sigh) ...

It's been wonderful making our yard a pretty sight ~ there is something so satisfying in the labor here in my own little Eden. How thankful I am for God's working in my life, cutting away the stuff that gets in the way of walking with Him, planting seeds of righteousness ... He is so amazingly kind, isn't He?

3 comments:

Mr. Jones said...

Mrs. Jones may be a bit surprised when the radishes come up this summer and they turn out to be beets.

Mom Jones said...

Whew! Beets are far more tolerable than radishes! :) I thought sure you had said you planted radishes. Wrong again.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://ivlkrwnnz.com]wcIqbNvPaefiQc[/url] - QYNUubqGpvxytd - http://yuxeflk.com