Monday, September 21, 2009

I am SO not ready for this ...

We arrived home from Texas in the darkness Friday night, so I didn't really get a look at what had transpired in our yard during the 18 days we were traveling. I had expected tall weeds and nasty-looking grass, and there was (IS) plenty of that ... but NOT my beautiful tree out front with almost all its leaves turned RED and FALLING!

I love Autumn ~ really I do! I love the change of seasons we experience here in Michigan. I love the rich autumn colors, the smell of burning leaves, a glowing fire in our fireplace ... but I can completely do without the CHILL in the air that accompanies it! I really detest being cold. My joints rebel against it and my entire body aches. Sigh.

It's just that we didn't really have anything that could be considered WARM about our summer here in West Michigan this year. I love it HOT. I love it HUMID. I love the thick warm air ... it doesn't even have to have sunshine with it ... I'm okay with clouds! This is the last day of summer! Tomorrow IS the first day of fall! But I'm NOT ready to just accept that summer is gone yet! Perhaps we will have a really LONG and WARM Autumn this year ... or perhaps two weeks of a truly HOT Indian Summer in mid-October! I'm just NOT ready for the COLD!

5 comments:

Ruthanne said...

I agree - I am not ready either. Last year winter was so LONG! This is also the last fall in our home! I am sad about that and not really ready to move on! I guess getting older does make one resistant to changes in one's life. But God is faithful - spring and summer will be back and we can start planning our summer sister trip! :) Love you - enjoy the last days of summer. Fall can be awesomely beautiful and I think this year it is going to be. The trees are already gorgeous!

Mom Jones said...

Hi Sis ...

The last fall in your house. That's huge. So many memories. So much that has happened right there. I am sad for you ... and selfishly sad for me too ~ I love your house and have always loved visiting you guys there.

Yes, God is so faithful and I know He will continue to meet every need as we walk with Him. Fall is a beautiful time of year, but very melancholy in so many ways and I tend to lean in that direction anyway.

Memorizing the first 14 verses of Ephesians chapter one has been enormously comforting to me. Thanks so much for your encouragement to do this!

Please know that I'm praying about your move and all that it involves. Much love to you too!

Sabrina said...

Those laeves are quite beautiful though. Sorry we couldn't have it nice and hot for you still here in Austin this year but we are still quite thankful for the cooler weather you brought down to break us from our 100+ days!

Diana said...

The leaves are beautiful, I miss that. I also really miss the smell of fall MI has. We are expecting a low of 53 tonight so we're feeling quite cold.

Mom Jones said...

Hi Diana ~ 53 for a low is VERY cold for you guys! I don't think it's that cold here ... but I'm always cold I think!

Wish you could be in Michigan to enjoy the beautiful colors with us. I'll try to take lots of pretty pictures and post them as fall progresses. Miss all of you here.