Saturday, November 7, 2009

We've had a great couple of days ...

It's been one of those days ... nearly perfect in every way ... following a wonderful time last night with our LOGOS friends (from church). We invited everyone over to our house for snacks and fellowship ~ and HOMEMADE ice cream! Fifteen of our friends showed up. Mr. Jones and three of the small children used our Mega Ball (it's a very weird kind of ice cream maker) and had a lot of fun rolling the ball around while making ice cream. I was so busy visiting with everyone that I neglected taking pictures of the actual process ... I just have this one snapshot of Mr. Jones scraping the insides of the ball.
After everyone left last night, we cleaned up the house and went to bed ~ and then we slept in this morning without one single bit of guilt! We knew that we had a lot of yard work to do today, so we were gathering our strength!
This is the first year that I can remember where our huge oak trees out back have dropped all of their leaves BEFORE winter has even arrived. Usually, these trees lose a bunch of leaves in the fall, but hang onto a lot of them all through the winter and then lose the rest of them in the early spring. But this year, there is hardly even a leaf left on these huge trees ... which makes for a lot of raking! So that's what we were doing this afternoon. We raked and mowed until all of our containers were full.
After our work was finished, I asked Mr. Jones if he wouldn't walk up the road with me and meet my horses, Tuffy and Dusty, as well as their real owners. We took a bag of carrotts along with us ...
They ate the entire bag of carrotts! This is Dusty showing his appreciation to Mr. Jones. A few weeks ago when I had taken a walk by myself, I met the owner of this beautiful property. His name is Lyle. He and his wife, Marilyn, have lived here for 31 years. And guess what? Their grandson is married to my cousin-in-law Joel's sister. What a very small world. When we knocked on their door today, I had something to show them. Last winter I had taken some photos of their property and horses, and I have used those pictures to make my Christmas card this year. I brought a finished one to show them. They were so pleased! And it was especially nice to finally meet Marilyn. She told us some wonderful stories about their family.
Lyle asked if I wanted to ride Tuffy today ... so he saddled him up and Mr. Jones led me all around their yard ... they own 18 acres just up the road from us.
I think Mr. Jones had as much fun as I did! Tuffy is such a beautiful animal!
Tuffy is just a pony and is used to very small children riding on him ... the stirrups were too short for my long legs, but I did the best I could to stay on! Mr. Jones was leading, so all I had to do was to hug Tuffy with my legs and go with the flow! I kind of felt like a big overgrown kid ... but I loved every single minute of it!

No comments: