Monday, June 14, 2010

My brother, David ...

I was the youngest in my family until my brother David was born. I had just turned five. I don't remember much about when he was a newborn, but by the time he was two years old (approximately), we played together quite a bit. It was usually me pushing him on the swing set in our back yard or watching him in the sandbox when he was that young, but eventually that five-year gap closed up sufficiently for us to play games together and enjoy each others' company. When I went off to college and then married, we didn't get to see much of each other. So actually, the last 35 years or so, we haven't lived in the same city ~ and for the last 10 years David has lived in Florida. Since he has grown up, most folk call him "Dave" ~ but I just can't bring myself to do it! He has always been "David" to me, and I'm just too old to change that! David's five beautiful children have grown up, four are married, and David and his really lovely wife (Carol) have eight grandchildren (regrettably, none of whom I have ever met). So when David made plans to come to Michigan last weekend, we made sure to set a date to get together. The only time that worked for both of us was last Monday morning. We met nice and early (at 8:30) and drove on out to our favorite spot in Michigan!
It's nice to have a geographical kindred spirit! Since we were raised in Detroit and spent a lot of time on boats growing up, both of us feel immediately relaxed and at home anywhere near the water ...
We walked the south pier first and talked practically without taking a breath ~ starting conversations without completing the prior subject ~ watching the fishermen and the seagulls ...
And then David took me to a place in Grand Haven that I had never even heard about! Imagine that! South of the State Park there are private cottages and there is a road that goes up to this place that has a lookout. It was interesting to be at a spot in Grand Haven that I had never been before. However, the lookout was a bit disappointing to me ... who wants to see five miles out into Lake Michigan and not be able to see the lighthouse in the bargain?! Possibly during the winter when the leaves are off the trees, perhaps the lighthouse can be seen from up here ~ I would love to see it from this perspective.
But then it was MY turn to take David somewhere new to him in Grand Haven. I took him to the north pier (the Ferrysburg side). The drive along the North shore is so beautiful, the homes are amazing, and we had so much fun walking the north pier. David is a marathon runner! He has been running for the last five years or so (I think). He says the running has made it possible for him to lose 30 pounds. I thought he looked great.
Since we only see each other every few years, we had a lot to catch up about! I loved hearing all about Jonathan and Starr (and 3 children), Antoine and Rachel (and 5 children), Andrew and Alison, Chris and Elisabeth, as well as Daniel. These are nieces and nephews whom I barely know! With driving to Texas twice per year, it's difficult to fit a Florida trip into our schedule.
After our walk, we ate lunch back in Grand Rapids. It was so nice to reconnect with my brother, talk over old times, and share our hearts. David is a school administrator in St. Petersburg. He has lots of interesting stories to tell about his job and their life there in Florida. Our time went by much too quickly! But then I had to be on my way ... to Detroit ... to spend the night with my Aunt Jan, and then fly out of Metro to El Paso to see Jesse's family the next day. I'll try to tell you all about that trip in the very near future.

1 comment:

loisgroat said...

There is just never enough time to spend with those we love, is there?