Sunday, August 3, 2014

A hunting we will go ...

The El Paso grandchildren have been "home" for almost a year now (lacking a few days). We began taking little afternoon adventures back then and Townsend Park soon became one of our favorite places. 
This summer has been oddly cold (brrr!) and also … I haven't seen as much of these dear faces as I hoped I might … lots of circumstances surrounding that. But yesterday, thank you Lord, we got to have an afternoon adventure together. I cleaned up our buckets, found our nets, and gathered the rest of our "hunting" gear, and off we went!
Years and years ago, frogs were in abundance here at this creek and my boys and I used to have a very fun time in pursuit of them. But … I haven't even SEEN a frog here in years. I'm not sure why!
However, crayfish are still hiding under tree roots and rocks along the shore ... 
And look at this very beautiful butterfly we found resting in the sunlight on the shore! 
Where Matthew is sitting, along the tree roots, is one of our favorite spots to hunt. Last year, we learned that hotdogs were very good bait for crayfish … but I totally forgot that fact as I was anticipating our hunt! All I had in my refrigerator was … ham! So we strung strips of ham on string and dangled our lines near the roots of these large and beautiful trees ... 
Emma was very intense about her hunting … parked herself at the very best hunting spot and would NOT give her territory up for love nor money! 
It's so beautiful along this little creek, isn't it? 
However, I will warn you! On the opposite bank of this little stream is a rocky area and as we walked by it, Christopher spotted what I think is the hugest spider I have ever laid eyes on. I did NOT photograph it because I quickly walked the OPPOSITE direction. It was one of those recluse spiders and I am not exaggerating, with it's legs extended (and they were!) it was nearly as large as my outstretched hand. Last year when we were here, there was a small boy carrying an enclosed bucket. He approached me and wanted to know if I wanted to see what he had "caught," lifted the lid to his bucket, and there was … exactly one of those monster spiders. Yikes. Beware! I didn't scream at the small boy, but I remember saying, "No, no, no!!!!" as I quickly walked away.
But on to more cheerful things ... 
It took the children some time and patience, but they finally each caught a respectable crayfish and several very tiny ones as well. We put them in our white bucket to admire and play with, all the while being extremely careful NOT to harm them or be rough in any way ... 
 Ems and Chris kept careful count ...
 … at one point we had eight of them swimming around in there … with three unhappy water bugs ...
I should have photographed the crowd of admirers we attracted! It seems that every weekend we have visited this place, someone is getting married and having their reception in the picnic area! Yesterday was no exception. Eventually, small children were gathered around asking about our "catch" of the day. 
They all wanted turns touching the crayfish! 
Matthew loves this creek ... 
So does Chris ... 
And Emma too! 
After our hunt was over and we had enjoyed examining our spoils, we carefully returned them to the stream from which they came. 
Very, very carefully ... 
We said goodbye to Calvin and Junior (two of the named crayfish) …  
… and told them we would see them another day! 

As I watched these children play yesterday, my heart was deeply comforted. God was very kind giving me this time with them … I love them very much.

No comments: