Friday, September 1, 2017

Lighthouse Weekend, Big Point Sable

Big Point Sable is actually my favorite lighthouse in West Michigan. When I say "favorite", I mean I think it is the prettiest and the setting is the most beautiful. In truth, Grand Haven is my favorite LOCATION and I love the pier so much. But there is just something SO GORGEOUS about Big Point Sable.
 There is NO public road to the lighthouse. No cars are actually allowed on this dune path, unless you are a volunteer who works out at the gift shop and leads tours, etc. To get out here to the big point, a person must hike either the dune path, or take the beach. I have done both actually--but with the beach SO eroded, it is quite difficult to take that way unless you don't mind getting waist-deep in water!
 David and I hiked the dune path, all 1.8 miles of it. I unwisely wore flip-flops (good grief!! What was I thinking?) and so my feet were a tiny bit blistered by the time we arrived out at the lighthouse.
 My brother had never been to this lighthouse. I was so glad to hike out here with him and enjoy this beautiful place together.
 We were told at the front desk of the gift shop that it was completely FREE to walk to the top of the light but that it would cost us $5 to come down! 
It is actually easier to climb UP than it is to descend (in my experience, at least). 


 105 stairs gets you all the way to the very tippy top ... and look at the view!
 The little fog station is such a nice addition to this site. Five years ago, the last time I was here, they had only begun constructing it.
 This is a bird's eye view of the light keeper's dwelling ...
 And beautiful Lake Michigan stretching out for miles and miles ...
 Looking south from the top ...


 Looking north ...
 I love this picture of David. It says so much about him. He has a happy heart and always has had a happy heart. He is FUN to be with, always. He knows how to have a great time and he is good at loving people. He has a wonderful smile, doesn't he? I love him so much.


 Look at this picture of the shipwrecks on Lake Michigan !!!

 When we were finished with our climb, we walked the beach for a little while.
 We saw a LOT of monarchs flitting around ...


 I love this view of the lighthouse with the beach grass, dunes, the lake behind ... oh, and there is David too!


What a perfectly beautiful day to visit this great lighthouse!

No comments: