Friday, September 1, 2017

Lighthouse Weekend, Little Point Sable

August 26:  My dear brother flew up from Tampa Bay to spend the weekend with me--NOT because it was Lighthouse Weekend (although the timing was perfect, wasn't it?) but to comfort me in a time of emotional duress. We decided that Saturday we would take advantage of the fact that it was officially Lighthouse Weekend up in the Ludington area and visit THREE lighthouses!
This is not the greatest picture of David and I, but
we don't often get into pictures together, so I'll take this one as it is!
We drove to Light Point Sable first thing in the morning, arriving there before the lighthouse was officially open to climb. But we were okay with that because we knew we would climb another very tall lighthouse later in the morning. We decided to walk around and explore the dunes and beach at this location for a little while. 




 The erosion of this beach is phenomenal. A few years ago, I could walk for a very long distance, both north and south--but not last year or this year. Lake Michigan is very high. The cottages on this stretch of Lake Michigan have lost their lakefront completely and have just dunes with a drop-off into the lake!




 It's a beautiful spot, though--a very emotional and wonderful and magical place for some of my favorite cousins, who grew up vacationing here every summer--so their memories are precious and many all along this beach.
 David used his I-phone and captured better pictures than I did using my nice Canon!




What a beautiful, but quite cool, morning. When we left GR this morning, it was 52 degrees! Poor David was super freezing! 
 This little trailer houses a gift shop (that wasn't opened yet either) ...



We left Little Point Sable and headed up to Ludington State Park ... about 45 minutes north.

No comments: