Monday, January 15, 2024

January 13 BIRDS!

Saturday:  Our Winter Storm Warning continues all throughout today. It's predicted we will get about 8-12" by nightfall!

Since I was rather stuck inside today (I had to cancel with Kaity because of the rough roads), I decided to do a little extra bird watching. I have three bird feeders as well as a suet-holder and a bell cage that holds seed. My next-door neighbor (Ted, who is 89) also has bird feeders and he feeds them only the BEST seed. I'm learning how to buy the right kind of food for them and now, almost every day, we have almost a feeding frenzy right outside my window. I love it so much. 

I decided to try to catch a few photos of these beautiful creatures through my window--but since that's not an optimal way to photograph (and since I know nothing of the mechanics of my camera), these pictures really don't do the birds any kind of justice.

I ordered a "Birds of Michigan" Field Guide a few months ago, thinking I would be real studious and actually identify the birds that come to my feeders. This little window feeder was my incentive because the birds are practically INSIDE my house where I can see them so clearly. They are so beautiful that they take my breath away, seriously. I am in awe of God's artistry with these little creatures.

This is a Black-capped Chickadee!






This might be a Red-bellied woodpecker



This might be a Dark-eyed Junco




















I'm terrible at identifying these birds! Aren't they beautiful though? I love it so much when they look at me through my window.





Bird watching brought so much gladness to my heart today! I was so thankful to be able to stay at home, all warm and cozy in my house and be delighted with God's creatures.

The one sad thing about today, however, was having to cancel seeing Kaity this afternoon. I am not the best "snow" driver, and I wanted to be sure to keep Kaity safe.

No comments: