Monday, January 22, 2024

January 19 More birds

Friday:  My "Birds of Michigan" Field Guide is helping me identify some of the birds that are eating at my feeders--but a few of them are difficult to decide what exactly they are! I'll post these recent pictures I took Friday and perhaps later I will be able to identify these big, brown, speckled birds--they are very aggressive--all my tiny birds flinch and fly away when they swoop down to eat ...


Look at the icicles! There are even icicles hanging from the little bird house attached to my window.


These big guys do NOT like to be messed with! Look at mean they are ... and how long their beaks!



Even their eyes look ... piercing--don't they?


This little bird (and many of his identical friends) come every day to feed. They are a little kinder to their own than some of the others that visit here ...

This guy looks like a regular STOOGE ...




Ooo ... I just found this bird in my Guide. It is a European Starling! It says 100 Starlings were "introduced" to New York City in 1890-91 from Europe! This brown speckled coat is how they look in winter--they look a LOT different in the spring and summer--"glittering, iridescent purplish-black."






Isn't this little guy a cutie?



 When I catch an extra moment or two, I will get serious about identifying these beautiful birds ...

No comments: