Monday, January 22, 2024

January 21 Lions 31, Buccaneers 23

Sunday:  Well ... we watched HISTORY this afternoon! The Detroit Lions have never won TWO playoff games in one season--at least not since the Super Bowl era arrived some 57 years ago. The announcers were saying that in the early 60's, the Lions were the team to beat--they were really good. But that was a LONG time ago. The first Super Bowl took place January 15, 1967. We have only once made it to the playoffs (perhaps it was 2x), but never progressed beyond the first playoff game--in other words, we LOST. We've had 0 and 16 seasons! Anyway, for years just saying I was a Lion's fan was almost laughable to anyone who was listening.

Notwithstanding, I HAVE been a Lions fan--although rather negligent since I haven't owned a TV since 2012 and have only watched a few games. But I do remember well those years that Jim and I used to watch the games together, with me yelling at the top of my lungs, and Jim giving me all the statistics that I needed to know for the rest of my life.

Interestingly, our JESSE is named ... kind of after a Lions' player from 1980 by the name of JESSE THOMPSON, #84. He wasn't a starter, but he did play quite a bit. I remember Jim and I having difficulty agreeing on a name for our expected baby and one Sunday afternoon as we were watching the Lions play, Jesse Thompson was in on a number of remarkable plays and I told Jim that I liked the name JESSE, and he agreed right away. Although I put the kibosh on a middle name of JAMES--no way. 1980 was Billy Sims' rookie year, by the way, where he ran the ball 1,303 yards and caught 57 passes for another 621 yards. I think he was rookie of the year that year.

When the Lions won their playoff game last week, it was the first playoff win in about 32 years--and we only won by ONE point. Today's game against the Bucs was sweeter, I think. Anyway--it was a great game even though NBC messed up the broadcast in our area for about 20 minutes as the second quarter was winding down. We were so infuriated! It finally allowed us to reconnect and finish watching the game. I did a LOT of screaming. Jesse and Matthew were very understanding!

Dear Kaity having a hug with Jesse

It was SO GOOD to see Matthew. What a nice person he is. It was very fun to watch the game with him and listen to he and Jesse interact about football in general. Matt has been working at a car dealership for a few months now and is doing well in his job--earning more than I ever did in a week even after working 35 years!
I love you, Matthew! Praying God's best blessings for your life, dear grandson. Hoping with all my heart that you know Him, love Him, and surrender your life to the One who made you and loves you more than you could possibly understand. 


No comments: