Wednesday, February 18, 2009

full and running over ...

My cousin Lois and her family came over to the Jones Junction last night for dinner. If I could paint a picture of our time together, I would use every single color, and splash them happily all over my canvas!
My cousin Lois is the youngest daughter of my youngest aunt (Sally). She is a short little lady, unremarkable in appearance ... but don't let that fool you! She is a no-nonsense, practical, pro-active, get-it-done, godly woman ~ nine years my junior. Lois has the same voice as my aunt Sally, and lots of her mannerisms too. I love to listen to her talk. She is very smart. And hard working! Lois and her husband Joel have eight children: three biological, and five adopted ~ all home-schooled ... bright and beautiful individuals, and so interesting ... all of them! I think one of my very favorite things to do is to prepare a big meal for lots of people, so I was right in my element all day yesterday! Pure joy! I went with one of my tried and true recipes that has never failed me ... the chicken enchilada recipe I got from the GR Press many many years ago. I served the enchiladas with Spanish rice, chips and salsa, and veggies and dip. I made my very favorite punch for our beverage and instead of serving it in a fancy punch bowl (mine isn't fancy, it is rather ugly, and the ladle makes a mess of pouring!) I just filled two pitchers full and placed them on the table. Following dinner, we had strawberry pretzel dessert and cookies.
Seven of their eight children were able to come to dinner. Their oldest son, Thaddaeus, lives at Cornerstone University here in town but could not join us last night. Joanna (21), Bram (16), Zachariah and Josh (twins, age 15), Rebecca (14), Lydia (11) and Niesha (10) crowded around our rather smallish dining room table, together with their parents and me! Mr. Jones sat behind us at the serving table and helped ... serve! :)
I didn't take one single picture last night. I handed my camera off to Mr. Jones to do the journaling of our evening. He promised to take lots of pictures of us with our mouths full of food, etc. I didn't post even one of those!
The picture above cracks me up because everyone is looking UNDER the table for our Thomas K (rascal), who had been coming and going from the dining room (in and out, in and out!) and Bram was uncertain as to whether or not he had been "nipped" in the process. We concluded that he had not (whew!). Thomas warmed right up to Lois, but then she has that "special something" about her that cats appreciate.
I sat in-between Rebecca and the twins. Sadly, I cannot tell you which was Josh and which was Zach ~ but I can tell you they were adopted at age 8 and at the time were considered "special needs." I would never have guessed that ... and of course, it isn't at all true! Zach is a writer and illustrator of stories. Josh draws too and is fascinated with medieval stuff. They are both bright and absolutely delightful.
Enough pictures at the dinner table, Mr. Jones!!!
This is Rebecca. She is all sparkles and glitter and is very outgoing! She was adopted as a baby. Look at her beautiful smile! Good job, Mr. Jones. :)
Bram (the fellow closest in the picture) is a train enthusiast. He knows lots of obscure facts about them. Mr. Jones has invited Bram and his dad to see his friend Thom's train layout when they can figure out a time to do that.
This is Joanna. I remember meeting her on several occasions in the past, but never in a setting where I actually FELT like I'd met her! She never graduated from high school (!) but entered college before she was 14 (I think) and graduated with a degree in elementary education by the time she was 18. She is brilliant ... but the very opposite of arrogant. She is perceptive and contemplative and trustworthy. She has a quiet confidence about her and a deep inner beauty that far exceeds her years. When I look at her it's like seeing a graceful deer in the middle of a woods, innocent and sweet ...
I asked Lois to tell me some of their children's adoption stories. I heard a very abbreviated version of how God led them to adopt the twins, and also a bit of Rebecca and Lydia's stories. But we never did get to Niesha! She and Lydia had played a game of chess, went on to play checkers, and then spent a lot of time downstairs in the playroom with our marble run.
And I haven't told you anything at all about Joel, whom the children refer to as "Papa." It's times like this when I really wish I was a good writer because I don't want to do an injustice in my description of this kind, considerate, patient, humble, gentle man. He has such integrity of character and strong faith ... someone with no pretense or guile about him. He has traveled extensively, a minister of the Gospel. I was looking forward to hearing all about his most recent trip to Madagascar ... but the evening flew away from us and too-soon they were driving down the driveway. We'll just have to have that conversation another time! As I watched this family interact, I was impressed with the friendships and comraderie between the children, and the safety and security they have in the love of their parents.

Have you ever set out to try and be a blessing to someone but then it ended up THEY were the one who blessed you?! When I was a little kid, we used to sing a little song in children's church. The lyrics are very simple. And we sang this very song with our 3's this past Tuesday morning! It goes like this: "Running over. Running over. My cup is full and running over. Since the Lord saved me, I'm as happy as can be. My cup is full and running over." There are cute hand motions for this song and 3-year-olds love it. It's a good description of how I feel today ... richly blessed!

3 comments:

Sabrina said...

What a great evening Mom! What a fun filled house you had last night! Sweet family with sweet food means very sweet times. Glad everything went so well and you were blessed in the midst of blessing someone else.

loisgroat said...

We had SUCH a wonderful time!! I wish you could have heard the kids the second we got in the van. A chorus of positive comments all at once.
That was FUN!
I LIKE them!
I like your cousin, Mommy.
They have a GREAT house!
That supper sure was good!
She's SO pretty!!
I liked Mr. Jones.
Me, too!
I really had a good time!
They were so nice!


Thanks for your amazing hospitality. We will have to get around to talking about Madagascar next time!

Mom Jones said...

You are most welcome, cousin ... and all you great children!

Yes, I want to hear all about Madagascar and Mexico and other places Joel has traveled ... but also about Little Point Sable and more adoption stories ... such miracles, all of them!