Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Our winter thaw ...

This is day three or four of a glorious winter thaw here in West Michigan. I know it will not last. I know that the snow and frigid temps will return for another four to six weeks (minimum) ... but today I determined to take a deep breath and just enjoy ...
Come! Take a walk with me! I took 100 pictures ... but have only posted 18 of them. I was surprised by the variety of color I saw today ... perhaps that was because of the clear blue sky and almost 60 degrees.
I walked up the block from our house about five minutes and made my detour into the woods. When I want to "get away" but not have to take a long drive, this is where I go ... and today, it was an amazing shadowland ...
Once spring comes, this woods get SO thick ~ usually, I can't get this close to the creek because of all of the thorns, briars and brambles ...
See?!
But this sparkling, meandering stream was calling to me, and so I got as close as I could without falling in! I did get two soakers before my walk was over ... but it was entirely worth it.
I listened to a song of the wind blowing through the trees and the creek spilling over the rocks ...
... and the most enchanting shadows and reflections were ... everywhere!


I followed the tracks of deer, rabbits and even horses here in the woods today. See the tree blind? And the colors of the day were not just dirty gray snow that midwinter usually offers, but I found all kinds of beautiful shades of green and brown ...

and even red!
A golden leaf ...
... and that blue blue blue sky ...
... patches of ice on a tree stump ...

... pine cones ...
and even moss!
The snow has almost all melted in front of our house and the grass is even kind of green! Having finished my walk, I can say I am completely content. How kind of the Lord to give us a refreshing break to this severe winter.


"Praise the LORD, everything he has created, everywhere in his kingdom. As for me ~ I too, will praise the LORD." Psalm 103:22


I can smell Mr. Jones baking his "healthy" chocolate chip cookies ... he sneaks all kinds of wheat germ and fiber in with the regular ingredients, but they are very yummy. I'm going to go and grab a few while they are fresh from the oven. It's supposed to rain tomorrow; and with the rain, flood warnings ...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures!!!

The Farm Fresh Friends said...

Oh, how nice are the little reminders that spring will, eventually, come! I just got my birthday gift in the mail--thanks! Love the socks...they were especially awesome. Lottie can't wait to meet you...soon!

Mom Jones said...

Hi Rachel ~ I'm glad your present arrived on time! I have a pair of those socks and they stay soft like that even after tons of washings ... glad you like them :)