Monday, February 2, 2009

I like it not ...

I’ve been thinking about trying contact lenses for years and years now. I really only need glasses for distance vision and used to joke that I put my glasses on “only when I need to see.” I didn’t start wearing glasses until my late 30’s and for the last 15 years or so have hated every time I’ve had to put them on! They feel foreign on my head and face! So, of course I didn’t wear them unless I HAD to … like when driving the car, or if I absolutely had to see WHO was singing in the choir on a Sunday morning.

It had been almost five years since I’d had a vision test, so last Thursday I scheduled one. And while I was at it, I told the optometrist to go ahead and fit me for contacts. The very next day, I had an hour-long instruction session regarding the use of contacts and practiced putting them in and out. Have you ever seen the new thin cellophane kind of contact lenses? Yikes! They’re practically invisible! There is an INside and an OUTside to them as well, and very difficult to ascertain which is which! I was able to get them in and out, but not without a great deal of resistance from my eyelids! I had NO idea eyelids could be SO STRONG. Anyway, I walked out of SVS Friday with a two-week trial pair of contact lenses and successfully wore them four hours that day! Wow. It was great to see long distance without those annoying glasses!

One problem though. I could see just fine far away … but oops! What happened to all of the stuff up close?! Like words on a page, the letters on my keyboard, my face (!) when I was putting on my make-up … well, I went out and purchased a cheap pair of reading glasses to solve that little problem.

Except, it wasn't a little problem at all! I need to see UP CLOSE a lot more often than FAR AWAY! So now I was stuck with those really annoying reading glasses hanging off my nose … ALL DAY!

The last straw came last night when I was at our Super Bowl party and got my camera out to take a few pictures of our friends. I couldn’t see the little screen on my camera … not unless I wore my reading glasses. No way. I refuse!

Thankfully, I paid zero for this trial pair of contact lenses. And those reading glasses? I’ve kind of needed them for years! But I will wear them only when I am reading!! I guess I’ll just go back to SVS with my prescription and order a new pair of frames that I will wear only “when I want to see.”

4 comments:

Emily said...

Sorry the contacts didn't work for you.

Emily said...

At least you're not blind and need them all the time

Mom Jones said...

Yes, I agree! I do feel for those who absolutely HAVE to wear something to see.

Ruthanne said...

Try wearing them for FIFTY years except when sleeping!! I got mine when I was nine and oh, how I would love to afford lazer surgery!!