Thursday, February 5, 2009

What we've been doing around here ...

We received a very nice gift for Christmas, a 26" LCD HDTV ~ completely and totally unexpected ... I was absolutely shocked (but pleasantly so). We've been trying to figure out where to put it. We have a room in this house that we CALL a family room and that's how it's been used. But the original builders of this house used this side of the house as an "in-law apartment." So this room we use as a family room was actually the in-law combination living room and kitchen area with a bedroom and bathroom off from that. It's an odd room, both in its size and its layout.
We decided to paint, but a lot of wall repairs were needed before we could start. Before I go any further with this description, I have to tell you that I don't know anything at all about painting a room, repairing walls, or anything having to do with that line of work! Mr. Jones has done all of the work in here by himself. I have been absolutely no help at all. He scrunched all of the furniture in the middle of the room, taped all of the woodwork off, repaired the wall cracks, and finally painted the room and Monday and Tuesday of this week.
I guess I did help out with a few things ... the fun stuff actually. I went on-line and ordered a smaller corner TV stand and WATCHED Mr. Jones put it together the other night! And yesterday, I went over to Bed Bath and Beyond and picked out some very pretty drapes for the doorwall! Today, I used graph paper to re-arrange the furniture. Each square on the graph represented one square foot. I made little model furniture and moved it all around on the graph paper until I had it just right ... if anything can be described "just right" in this odd room! Tonight, I'm going to clean all of the cupboards and hopefully make better use of that space. We have a bit more spot cleaning to do on the carpet, and tomorrow we hope to take apart the old entertainment center, hook up the new TV, hang the new drapes, and put the furniture in its proper place. I'll take pictures and show you the finished result once I have re-hung all the pictures ... that's MY job.

4 comments:

Ruthanne said...

Good Job! It is a lot of work, isn't it? I just finished painting the family room. I have been painting for a month off and on and I am glad that I am taking a little break before tackling the bathroom. I am sure your room will look great - rooms always looks so clean and fresh after painting.

Honez said...

Can't wait to see the final result.

Emily said...

Have you guys finished?

Mom Jones said...

I'm hanging pictures right now! :) And Mr. Jones has to re-build the Thomas-train layout ... and I'm going to go back to Bed Bath and Beyond and get one more panel of drapes ... just needs a bit more fullness ... and then, VOILA! I'll take pictures when all of that is complete.