Sunday, February 8, 2009

Much better ...

Our family room is finally finished, and it is an improvement ... not of the extreme home makeover variety ... but an improvement nonetheless. I've snapped a few pictures to show you.

Mr. Jones relaxing and enjoying our new TV and remote (thank-you Adam and Emily!) ... I'm going to have to shut the drapes though because there is SO MUCH SUNSHINE (shock) coming through window that it is making a nasty glare on my pictures ... so here we go ... We painted the walls a light moss green, which I thought was going to be a bit more green than it ended up being ~ but that's OK. I like the drapes/curtains very much more than the ones we had up for all of the 11.5 years we have lived here (and came with the house!). They slide really easily and I like how they match the furniture too. I also like the much smaller corner TV stand as opposed to the MONSTER entertainment center we had in here.
Mr. Jones made a new Thomas-the-Train layout for our table, and although I'm not crazy about where we've situated it in the room, it's where it ended up and ... that's where it is staying!
And remember the toy shelf that sat rather kiddywampus against the entrance wall to the family room? I moved it upstairs to our bedroom (where it STILL sits kiddywampus next to our bed), and switched it out for the smaller shelf I had in my room. I've put just an assortment of children's books and some toys on that shelf. It's kind of a flimsy and unstable unit, so until it has been tested out by toddlers (to see if they do or do not pull it over on themselves), it might eventually have to be replaced by a sturdier piece of furniture.
I cleaned almost every cupboard in this kitchen and found room to store the too-many VCR tapes and DVD's we have ...
I feel good about the room. It feels better defined and definitely more cozy. The fresh paint looks nice. We shampooed and spot-cleaned the carpeting, and although it is not stain-free, I at least know it is clean. One of these years, we are going to tear up this carpeting and put hard-wood floors in the family room and replace the linoleum throughout the house with the same. But Mr. Jones says that is "several years away." Well, with the economy as it is and many people really truly hurting to make ends meet, I am very thankful for these small improvements in our house!

4 comments:

Emily said...

Looks good!

Mom Jones said...

Thanks, Emily! The entire room is more open now and the area rug actually defines the TV part of the room from the rest of it. I like it. :) Mr. Jones worked hard last week! I think when we have a bunch of people in that room now, we'll find that we have more space to move around and play.

Diana said...

I like it. Can't wait to see it in person whenever we get up to MI again.

Sabrina said...

I can't wait till my toddlers can test out the new room and the new layout and I can lay on the couch and just hang out with you again! This June...