Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Trip statistics and other thoughts ...

"Love all of God's creation, the whole and every grain of sand in it. Love every leaf, every ray of God's light. Love the animals, love the plants, love everything. If you love everything, you will perceive the divine mystery in things. Once you perceive it, you will begin to comprehend it better every day. And you will come at last to love the whole world with an all-embracing love." Feodor Dostoevski: The Brothers Karamazov
The mountains of New Mexico
White Sands National Monument
Padre Island, Texas Gulf Shore
The River Walk, San Antonio, Texas
Near Comfort, Texas
At a park in Bernham, Texas
Outside the Blue Bell ice cream factory
Bernham, Texas
"You know my every thought when far away. You chart the path ahead of me and tell me where to stop and rest ... if I ride the wings of the morning, if I dwell by the farthest oceans, even there your hand will guide me, and your strength will support me."
Psalm 139:2b-3 and verse 9
We have been far away and now we are home. I'm giving thanks to the Lord that He was with us every mile of our drive, through major cities, across the Mighty Mississippi, alongside mountains, in and out of little podunk towns, to and from seeing all of our loved ones. God was very good to us all along the way. Would you like to hear some statistics about our trip?

Total miles: 4,837
Total states: On the way down from Michigan: Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, and then back into Texas. On the way home: Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and then home!
Hours in our van: 80+
Pictures taken: 3,287 total (1,926 by me and 1,361 by Grandpa Jones). We also have 4 CD's that were burned from pictures Jes and Di took, as well as ones Sabrina took. That's a LOT of photographs!
Favorite Hotel: The Drury Inn. We stayed at one in Pacific, Missouri as well as two nights while in San Antonio. They are decorated nicely and are clean. They have a wonderful hot breakfast buffet every morning, as well as a "happy hour" from 5:30 to 7:00 every night where there is abundant food and drink, all included in your night's stay! But we also liked the Comfort Inns and Suites ~ we stayed in several along the way.
Favorite Restaurant: It's difficult for me to choose between Cracker Barrell, I-Hop or Applebee's. All of them have nice menus with great senior (!) deals ... and I mustn't forget CHILI'S too! While we traveled, we breakfasted at the hotel, ate fast food for lunch, and then tried to eat a healthier meal for dinner. In many places, we found the serving sizes so huge we could actually split a meal and still be very full.
Favorite Families: Well, let me see ... the Pahman's, the Rauch's, and the Jones' x 2! Quickly browsing through our thousands of photographs, I have great pictures, cherished memories of wonderful times with everyone. I have a lot of editing to do and then I'll publish some beautiful family pictures ...

2 comments:

judy and larry hand said...

Great Blog Carol. Glad you and
Don arrived home safely and had good
times with your family and traveling.
Beautiful pictures and commentary.
Cherrish the times you had with your
family and it will take you through
many difficult times when you are
missing them as we do to. God Bless

Mom Jones said...

Hi Judy and Larry,

I hope I was able through my blog to tell enough and show enough of our time with Jes, Diana and the children so that you could share in it too. It's hard to put words to it and even pictures are inadequate. I know you miss them and they miss you too. The children talked of you often and wished you could be there with them as well. God bless you both.