Sunday, October 13, 2013

Finger Puppets are the best!

I own a crazy number of finger puppets. I have collected them since my boys were little tikes, and for some reason, I have always loved them. I think perhaps it goes back even to my childhood when we used to make sock puppets. There is just something about a puppet that is so much fun. 
The PIG is playing the part of
the angel, Gabriel, announcing the
birth of Jesus ...
Friday night, while I was fixing dinner, Emma decided to get a puppet show going. The little puppet theatre was a birthday gift (several years ago) from my sister, Ruthanne ... to ME! I loved it right away, and I knew the grandchildren would so enjoy it.
Emma, getting the curtains in place ...
All of the puppets on the carpeting are arranged
just so ... to be the audience ... they
didn't make the "cut" to be in the actual play!

Emma's first puppet show was the Nativity Story ... see the STAR on top of the theatre?
Sadly, we didn't have any plain girl and boy puppets to play the part of Mary and Joseph, so Emma made do with a horse and a monkey (!) ...
As her story was going along, she noticed that I had quite a few "western" looking finger puppets, so for her next show, she did a "western." I can't remember the story because it was quite spontaneous, and Emma got laughing so hard in the middle, that I couldn't exactly figure out WHO was WHO and what exactly had happened in the narrative.

I loved seeing Emma have so much
fun with this puppet theatre ...
The boys were very patient out in the audience, but they wanted a turn as well. It's something how boys are so different from girls! Their play went immediately into warfare and bombs and all kinds of ... boy stuff!

I think this will be a good way for the children to work on storytelling, don't you? Telling a good story is a nice skill to have, and it's good for their imaginations as well. I'm glad I collected all of these great puppets and that they are finally being played with.

2 comments:

Larry and Judy Hand said...

Wonderful, Carol. Sounds just like each of them.

Unknown said...

How fun. It IS hilarious how boys go so quickly to craziness. Every time we tell stories around the dinner table, Nolan says, "AND THEN it was the END of the WORLD!!" because of some destruction or another. Cracks us all up.