Sunday, October 13, 2013

Searching for leaves ...

We have had a wondrously warm and beautiful first few weeks of Autumn here in West Michigan. I am 100% certain that fall would be my favorite season of the year ... if it wasn't that winter followed! It's not that I don't like winter, because as far as beauty is concerned, it just can't be compared. If only one could have winter ~ without the COLD. Yes, that would be perfect!

When I met the grandchildren after school on Friday, we drove right on over to the Marantha Bible camp grounds in Comstock Park because ... the trees were calling for us ... by name! Yes, they were! I heard them! Besides, we were on a mission. We were on a leaf hunt. We needed to collect all sizes and shapes and colors of leaves for a project we were going to work on over the weekend.

I brought a bag for each child (and one for me too) and explained our goal. The kids got right at it. They were very serious leaf collectors! 

Isn't this a great bridge? No railings! It crosses beautiful little Stoney Creek ... 
We hiked all the way through the woods, following the pathway to the right that led all the way to the train bridge (not pictured), and then since we had enough leaves for 12 children (at least) we wandered on back ~ we were treated with this extra special treasure on our return walk ...
I'm not certain, but I think this is a blue heron. I've got my zoom on for this picture. We were actually quite a distance from this beautiful creature and we stood very still and watched it for the longest time ... until ... quite suddenly it rose up and spread it's great and massive wings and with two flaps was entirely out of sight. I was so stunned by its flight that I never once lifted my camera to attempt a picture.
Matthew missed the entire flight because he was still diligently searching out leaves. So Christopher was kind enough (!) to show Matthew HOW WIDE those incredible wings were! 
Emma was very taken with the beauty of the moment ... 
You never know just what kind of magic you will find out in the woods ... the shadows alone will take you to a different world altogether if you let them ... and the memories made while rambling in the woods will be ones that I know will be delightful for a very long time.

No comments: