Sunday, October 20, 2013

Saturday at Home

All week long as I had checked the weather for the weekend, it was a pretty dismal forecast: 80% chance of rain every single day! I figured I'd best have a plan in mind just in case we couldn't get out for our usual afternoon outdoor adventure time ...
So Saturday morning after breakfast, we reviewed our Prodigal Son story and read it again, two more times, out of two different books that I had on hand. And then we decided to re-enact the entire story using my finger puppets. Emma was hugely interested in being the producer of our play, and while she was working out the details, Matthew invented his own story which he never shared out loud with us because he said he was still "rehearsing" it.
Emma and I did the story together, and since I was very involved in the production, I didn't actually take pictures of us doing the story with the puppets. Emma started out telling the story, but then she switched over and requested that I be the narrator. She was very helpful with all of the puppets and since I have so many puppets to work with, she decided which puppet to use for the dad, the younger brother, the older brother, the servants, and even the animals.  
Christopher had art on his mind, and so he listened to our puppet show very quietly as he was drawing this cool picture ... 
Chris is a very spontaneous and passionate
artist ... I'm so glad he loves to draw!
We played all morning and had such a nice time of it that I never once looked out the window to see what the weather was doing! But as I was making lunch, I noticed the sun trying its best to come out ... 

Mealtimes can be a bit hectic around here, mostly because I am not a good cook. I try not to make too much of a fuss about food in general; but we do enjoy eating together and I have found a few simple meals that are mostly healthy and enjoyed by the kids. 

By the time we were finished eating, THE SUN WAS OUT ... and we were off on our Saturday afternoon adventure!

No comments: