Sunday, November 17, 2013

We visited Hagar Park for our Saturday adventure ...

Last week, a friend asked me if I'd ever taken my grandchildren to Hagar Park. Since I'd never heard of it before, I naturally told her that I had not! But after she described it to me, I knew that we just HAD to go there for our next Saturday adventure!

What a great playground! It is one of those "Age of Discovery" playgrounds and there is so much to do!  
I was overjoyed to find HIKING TRAILS too! Wonderful! I was so glad we got a break in the weather and were able to drive out to Jenison to check out this place! 



This huge playground overlooks a map of the United States ... can you kind of see it in the picture below? Michigan, obviously, is easy to find ... and Texas kind of stood out too! We ran around out there and claimed every state we could find as our own! 
We had seen the movie, "Eight Below" Friday night about the eight huskies that were working in Antarctica ... and we got to meet firsthand a Siberian husky named "CHIEF" at the park. He was a beautiful animal, and the children were thrilled to talk to him and his owner for a little while. 

It was a little bit difficult to convince the children that we NEEDED to take a hike out in the woods ... it was hard for them to leave that beautiful playground behind; but I promised that if we took a good long hike, we could return and play and play and play ...
Christopher is LESS than excited about the prospect
of walking ANOTHER path in the woods ...
Doesn't Grandma ever run out of places to hike? Yikes!
 But Matthew was almost as enthused as I was! He found himself a good stick to carry and proceeded ahead!

Hagar Creek winds its way throughout the park; but it's quite depleted of water and its banks are eroding. There were several places where it was being "worked" on and was all roped off ...  

I still found it to be a beautiful spot. Next fall, we'll have to come out here when the colors are still pretty and take lots and lots of photos. I did manage (in the span of three hours) to take 441 pictures ... those trees just NEEDED to be photographed! 

Catching all three kiddos smiling is always a challenge ... and they really get sick of me aiming my camera at their faces ... but for the most part, they put up with me! 
Matthew procured TWO sticks (percussion) that he used to make his own song on the bridge. He absolutely cracked me up watching him. I love to see him this happy!

And then all three of them danced a little jig
for me while Matthew was beating the rhythm ...


If it had been up to me, we would have explored ALL of the trails back here ... but the children really wanted to get back to the playground, so we left many trails UNexplored. We'll just have to return another day, but likely not until ... spring!

No comments: