Saturday, December 14, 2013

A cold snowy weekend keeps us INSIDE ...

We've had lots and lots of snow and a very early COLD that has settled in all over West Michigan. So I knew that when the grandchildren came over this weekend, we would probably NOT do an outside afternoon excursion on Saturday afternoon. Thankfully, these kids have lots of play in them and were quite contented to stay inside and ... PLAY!

We did pizza for our Friday night dinner ... because I was too tired to think of cooking after working all week. I actually didn't take one single picture Friday night! We played some chess games, read some books, and got ready for bed early (for a change). We decided to watch "The Sound of Music" for our bedtime movie. I knew they would love this story so much ~ and they did!
Saturday morning, Emma remembered that I had some tracks for the Hotwheels and Matchbox cars. She set up a nice course for the cars and all of the kids got a lot of playtime out of it. 



We were also looking through the books on my shelves and I was showing the children my niece Shelley's newest book that she illustrated, "Stand Up and Speak Up." Emma loved the illustrations and asked me some questions about how Shelley is able to do such beautiful work. I mentioned that she uses REAL children to be her models, takes their pictures, and sketches from those photographs.
 Emma decided then and there that she would LOVE to be a model for Shelley's drawings! We put this picture on Facebook so that Shelley could see Emma enjoying her beautiful books.

We tried a few Origami projects today, as well as more snowflakes ... 
Matthew and I kind of made this together ...
a smaller version of the ones Ems
and I made last weekend ...
 And look at who I was able to see for a few minutes tonight! Kaity even let me hold her for just a little while before she reached out to her sister ...
My TWO pretty granddaughters!

No comments: