Sunday, December 22, 2013

Our Saturday night sleepover ...

This picture (below) cracks me up ... this is me trying to get three wiggly giggly (and a tiny bit hyperactive!) children to ALL look my way, smile beautifully for my very annoying camera, and give me their Christmas BEST! Actually, it's kind of a cute picture!
Since Friday's weather had been so hazardous, I didn't pick up the children after work ... because I simply DID NOT GO TO WORK! So, Saturday afternoon Jesse and Diana were gracious enough to drop these kiddos off to me for the afternoon, and all night! 

We decided not to risk further bad weather messing up opening Christmas presents, so ... AFTER we sang "Happy Birthday" to Jesus and thanked Him for coming and being the BEST present for us ... we opened some gifts.
Matthew getting ready to open his
L E G O S ...
no surprises ... they ALL picked their gifts
out on LEGO.com


Matthew's LEGO choices were part Star Wars / part Ninjago. He was extremely pleased with his choices! 

Christopher picked out all STAR WARS Legos ... because he absolutely loves them ~ although after looking at Matthew's Ninjago model, he kind of wondered if he should get into that scene next time. 
Emma is really into LEGO Friends, especially the veterinary models, but really she likes it ALL! 






Matthew gets a lot of tongue action
involved in his building ...   :)


One of my favorite memories growing-up at Christmas, for some reason, was Peppermint Stick ice cream ... I just loved crunching the little chunks of candy cane inside the ice cream. For many years, I have purchased this very thing and re-lived that happiness. BUT ... as I shopped for it this year, I couldn't find a single carton. I settled on Mackinac Island Fudge and then bought some little snowman peeps to supplement the sundae and give it a holiday feel. The kiddos weren't terribly sad about the ice cream not being peppermint stick ...

We read the Christmas story again, this time from the Gospel of Matthew, by candlelight. The children had many questions and we had the nicest time talking about Jesus coming to be born FOR US.

And then ... we got cozied up with our pj's and sleeping bags and watched "A Christmas Carol." It was the version with George C. Scott playing Scrooge. I didn't like it! I missed my really really old version with Gene Lockhart and some other favorites. I felt this one was a little bit too scary! But the kids did okay with it in spite of it being spooky. They seemed to grasp the story very well. 

Afterwards, we put on our favorite nighttime CD, Michael Card's "Sleeptime in Jesus" and as the children listened, I rubbed their backs and whispered words of love to their hearts ... and all were asleep at 11:05 ~ a NEW record!

1 comment:

The Pahman Family said...

Even thought the kids were able to 'pick out' their gifts, I know they were totally delighted when they opened & saw them as their own. And Emma's "Friend's" obsession is a bit my fault. When it started, I told her we would 'get them all.' Little did I know just how many they would come out with & how quickly. At least when we 1st found them, they were a great deal (what you got vs how much you paid compared to other sets).